Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Discrepancies/Inaccurate Swimming Workout Lenght

Hi guys,

So I received my Apple Watch Series 2 yesterday so I took it for a swim today:

• Selected a 25m pool
  • Distance base workout to 1000m
  • I've swum 40 pools and monitored my progress at 250m/500m/1000m

I was thrilled to see the watch actually picked up the pools every single time, but as soon as I ended my workout (showing 1000m on the screen) the summary presented me with a different length saying I only did 95% of it, and showing 38 pools for a total of 950m

I counted my laps manually (as I always do) and I'm positive about the 40 so I have two questions:

• What could've happpen?
  • Is there a way to edit the length like I can with my is

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 1:14 PM

8 replies

Sep 26, 2016 1:21 AM in response to juanmateixido

juanmateixido wrote:

.. I was thrilled to see the watch actually picked up the pools every single time, but as soon as I ended my workout (showing 1000m on the screen) the summary presented me with a different length saying I only did 95% of it, and showing 38 pools for a total of 950m ..

Hi

I suggest that you raise this issue with Apple Support, taking advantage of your initial 90 days of complimentary telephone-based technical support cover:

Nov 30, 2016 12:39 PM in response to juanmateixido

I have had a similar issue where I completed a 3700 yard swim but when I finished, the watch said that I only swam 1400 yards although it also said I swam 148 laps of a 25 yard pool! I also have issues where, during most workouts, 25 yard segments of my swims are lost. Finally, I have had the workout app crash and quit where I lose my entire workout.

I have had a case open with Apple support for about a month now and they have been unable to solve any of my problems.

Nov 30, 2016 1:55 PM in response to juanmateixido

I've been swimming with my Apple watch series 2 for a few months. I normally swim about 50-60 lengths of the pool with mixed strokes about 2-3 times a week. Okay, on my first swim I noticed some discrepancies, as well, and it's not until I swam a few more times, that I understood a little more how it counts lap. I hope some of this info will help you...

1. As I believe it was briefly mentioned at the announce of the Series 2, the watch runs some internal algorithms to calibrate your stroke to distance. At least in my case, once I swam a few times, it did appear to dial in to counting my laps more accurately.

2. If you are mixing strokes, the algorithms that count laps may need a bit more time to accurately count your different strokes. For example, in my case, I only swim a limited amount of back stroke, and breast stroke, so it took a few swims to dial these in.

3. The lap counting, at least for me, is highly dependent on a "nice even stroke". Depending on how much swimming you do, if your stroke gets lazy, as it does for me, it can get off by a few feet on some laps of the pool. If your not a regular swimmer, with a nice even stroke, I think this could be a larger issue.

4. I also perform "kick boarding" as part of my swimming exercise. Of course with "kick boarding" you don't typically swing your arms, so the watch won't pick this up in any accurate way. However, when I go into the turns with the kick board, sometimes my arms flap around a little, so sometimes it throws a few yards into my total swim. No big deal, I would love to be able to "manually" add these laps, but as you've noticed, it can't be done.

5. I often perform interval swimming, so I take a short break between some fixed number laps for heart rate recovery. I've found that if I tap the watch face just after touching the wall, and coming up for some air, it may not have credited me for the "last lap". I've found that it's just on the edge of counting the lap, so all it takes is a small swing of the arm for the lap count to increment. I think the watch actually goes into a "wait and see" moment, since it's not sure what your doing in the pool, it seems like it will eventually count the lap, if you lie idle for a couple of minutes.

6. If your a regular at flip-turns, I think it's normally dead on for counting laps, at least that's been my experience for freestyle. If you don't flip-turn then I would just say that it's probably just a good idea to develop a pretty regular turning style, and I'll have to assume the watch will properly pick this up, and better calibrate your stroke to the pool distance.

In general, I've been incredibly pleased with the accuracy, so I hope others see the same. There have been a few times, it's been off by half a lap, but I normally attribute it to my "stroke" falling off and getting lazy, or possibly I stopped for a minute to adjust my goggles, or speak with the person I'm sharing the lane, or my turns weren't very consistent. I think these throw things off a bit, but that's just my experience.

Good luck...

Nov 30, 2016 2:38 PM in response to gnsantos

I have to respectfully disagree about being OK about minor inaccuracies. I also swim intervals (ex. 20 x 100 on 2 minutes), all freestyle, and take the same number of strokes for each 100. For 19 of the 20 hundreds, the watch records 100 yards for each. On the other hundred, it records only 79 yards so it "misses" 21 yards or over 20 seconds of swimming! To me, this is unacceptable so I am very disappointed with the accuracy, especially for a device that costs nearly $370! The fact that, for me, I get weird, inaccurate summaries and workout app crashes makes things even worse.

BTW, if you "tap the watch face just after touching the wall", it should make no difference as the touch aspect of the watch face is disabled as soon as you start a pool swim and is not re-enabled until you clear the watch by turning the Crown.

Dec 16, 2016 9:43 AM in response to juanmateixido

I may have found a solution. Just tighten your watch band. I followed the recommendations in the user's guide for fit (not too tight, not too loose) for normal wear but the guide also stated that you may have to tighten it for workouts for heartrate monitoring. I never had as issue with that but I tried tightening mine last Thursday and have had no issues at all since then - no dropped laps and no bizarre summaries.

Discrepancies/Inaccurate Swimming Workout Lenght

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.