Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't YouTube play HTML5 video since I upgraded to Sierra and Safari v10.0?

Since I updated to Sierra, the new Safari won't play videos from YouTube, saying "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the supported video formats available". I didn't have this problem before upgrading.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 11:10 PM

Hello,

It is just the video format incompatibility issue, with a video converter, you can easily solved this problem. And i have been using Doremisoft easy HD video converter from https://itunes.apple.com/jm/app/easy-hd-video-converter/id488066888?mt=12

to do the converting job, and it is great. You can have try. By the way, have a nice day.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2016 11:10 PM in response to fotofah2

Hello,

It is just the video format incompatibility issue, with a video converter, you can easily solved this problem. And i have been using Doremisoft easy HD video converter from https://itunes.apple.com/jm/app/easy-hd-video-converter/id488066888?mt=12

to do the converting job, and it is great. You can have try. By the way, have a nice day.

Sep 27, 2016 12:41 AM in response to fotofah2

Ok, after a bit of research I have found an answer for this that works for me.

It turns out that I had the "Click to Flash" plugin enabled in Safari Extensions.

If you have this plugin installed just disable it and the YouTube videos will load in the HTML5 player again.

I'm guessing the "Click to Flash" plugin needs an update to function correctly with Safari 10.

Oct 12, 2016 5:09 AM in response to David Ritter

David Ritter wrote:

Ok, after a bit of research I have found an answer for this that works for me.

It turns out that I had the "Click to Flash" plugin enabled in Safari Extensions.

If you have this plugin installed just disable it and the YouTube videos will load in the HTML5 player again.

I'm guessing the "Click to Flash" plugin needs an update to function correctly with Safari 10.

Indeed Click to Flash does not work in Safari 10. The author has stated that due to Apple changes he will not be able to fix this so effectively Click to Flash is dead and discontinued.

Note: The new default behaviour for Safari is not to enable flash on web sites. You have to explicitly enable it per website in Safari Preferences. Since most of YouTube content is available in HTML5 you do not need to enable Flash for YouTube, you would need to enable Flash for BBC iPlayer though as one example.

Why won't YouTube play HTML5 video since I upgraded to Sierra and Safari v10.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.