Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Problems since macOS Sierra upgrade

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me here because I am starting to get really frustrated.

I have a MacBook Pro and yesterday I upgraded to macOS Sierra which I now regret because when I wanted to work with iMovie today it no longer worked how it used to. I make youTube videos for a living and I am already a day behind my uploading schedule because of this problem. Basically what is going on is that when I imported my video files from my SD Card into iMovie the files looked normal, however when I put them in a project and started playing them I noticed that the color was way off, it almost looks like there is a foggy overlay. At first I thought maybe my DSLR Camera broke and checked the files on the SD Card (played the files in Quicktime) but they look perfectly normal and how they should look, iMovie for some reason changes them... I have no idea how to fix this problem because I am not even sure what the problem really is. Can someone please help me?

iPhone 5s

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 3:44 AM

54 replies

Jan 30, 2017 6:51 PM in response to AnnyLovesPink

idk if you are still having this problem but i found a solution, go to "clip adjustments" then click "video effect" after click "hard light" (you must use this filter as it is the only one closes to the originally color of the clip you are editing) after this go to "video adjustments" and lower the brightness of the clip to the color that is closest to the original. This should help with that foggy overlay.

this is exactly what i did after the force quit and update method (there actually wasnt an update for me though) didnt work.

Aug 14, 2017 6:28 AM in response to DonaBona

My work around is to have a 10.9 installation on a separate drive and boot from that for movie edits. Of course, it's not an ideal solution as it interrupts my work flow rebooting into a different OS.

Also, rather than the 'Hard Light' option, which I found to be too contrasty, from the same Inspector interface, click the 'Video' tab and adjust the left hand slider of the 'Levels' histogram at the top. I found around 15% is a good place to start from, depending upon what the video is of.

Aug 16, 2017 2:46 PM in response to Number man

Here is a possible solution for those who wish to continue to use Imovie 9.0.9 on a Sierra system. "Select all" in the edit menu, go to "Video Adjustments in the Window drop down menu and then look under the levels graph at the top portion of "Inspector" box. There you will see a scrub bar by which you can adjust your overall levels. I pump my levels up to about 32-34%. Seems to provide a pretty good result without the necessity of adjusting each scene individually. Let me know if this is helpful.

Oct 14, 2017 10:52 AM in response to PadraigQ

Short direct answer to the problem:

For at least two movies I get pretty good results by turning the brightness down to near -50% or by moving the lower level control up to the 35% region, as PadraigQ suggests. Not sure which is better. Both introduced some blue in green bushes in the shade (dark, as the foreground is in the sun). The Hard Light helped, but I don't use it. It degrades the image and turns dark grey tones to black.

More (a lot more, I'm afraid!):

Yeah, Apple recommends to update iMovie. What a surprise. (Sorry, Apple. :-)

But iMovie 10 is troublesome. Here's why:

First of all, iMovie 10 is largely dumbed down. Even iMovie 9.0.9 is dumbed down compared to 9.0.4 for at least one thing: Where did the red, green, and blue gain sliders go?

This was from a couple of years ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on it, but I know I quickly found that iMovie 10 was not for me. The only thing I use it for is as a stepping stone to transfer projects from iMovie 9 into FCP. I'm told that you can't go directly from 9 to FCP.

I was unable to import/convert my 9.0.4 library in one fell swoop. It would crap out early in; I forget exactly how. Lovely. I eventually found I could import a few at a time by moving some of the files to a side directory, though I can't find it now. Maybe the latest version will work better.

Another problem going to iMovie 10 was losing the video settings, as the controls between 9 and 10 are incompatible. This is a good thing? iMovie 10 just gives you saturation and tint, whereas 9.0.4 has saturation, and red, green, and blue sliders. Instead of exposure (never useful), levels, and contrast you get some strange controls that kind of combine them. Could be useful. Oh, iMovie 10 also has the skin-tone and match-color features, which also could be useful, but these features don't make up for all the problems.

Yet another problem with iMovie 10 is the aspect ratio. My movies are Super 8 transfers rendered as 1440x1080. They come up as 16:9 instead of 4:3. Has something with ignoring the value of the anamorphic bit. There was no way I could find to fix it. In FCP I was _barely_ able to fix it. Barely. I tried all sorts of things. Then I found one that seemed to do the trick, but later found that it messed up the cropping. I found another that actually seems to work properly. QuickTime 7 Pro, OTOH, gets the aspect ratio correct, right from the get-go. Long live QT 7 Pro!

Still yet another problem: I opened iMovie 10 today for the first time in a long time and I can't change what's in the timeline. I can't open a project! (v 10.1.7) This is after _having to abort_ the library conversion thing (after half an hour!). That must be it (still further yet another problem). I can, however, get a clip in the browser and viewer. Looks like it's time for a support call or perhaps a new post.

There's more with 9 vs 10, but this post is already quite long. And there's only so much time in the day!

Going back to 9.0.9, I found today that I can't do any video adjustments for a clip that has a fade in and a fade out! This is an upgrade?

iMovie 10 is not an upgrade from 9; it is a different app altogether.

Note to Apple: If you're going to break things, please just retire the old app (and continue to support it!) and make the new one a totally separate app. Or give us a hidden "advanced controls" panel that makes things backwards-compatible. And can you please give us a checkbox for making 1440x1080 4:3? You do for other formats. Thank you! (^_^)

Sep 26, 2016 8:57 AM in response to AnnyLovesPink

Hi, Anny,

I don't know what is going on with the color change in your timeline. Whenever there is an upgrade of an operating system there always is the possibility of conflicts with specific applications until the bugs get worked out. So it's possible that your issue is associated with your recent upgrade to OS Sierra -- hard to tell. I am not aware of anyone posting with your problem as yet.

Since the problem only appears in your time line, possibly the media is complex and your computer is having trouble processing it in the time line or keeping up with your editing.

You can see if the problem is project related by creating a new project with the same or different media. Is it possible that you inadvertently have a color filter activated? You can also try reopening iMovie while holding down the option and command keys, and selecting to delete preferences. Sometimes it helps to launch iMovie in a different user account, like your Guest account, in case there is a conflict with your present user account. If none of the above works, you can try creating a new iMovie library on your boot drive or Apple formatted drive and see if your projects work properly there. Another possibility is to restore your old operating system from Time Machine.

In any event, I suspect that once the movie is shared out it will play with its normal colors. Try sharing to file on your desktop to confirm that. If it plays fine, at least you will be able to maintain your uploading schedule while you are troubleshooting your issue.

Best,

Rich

Oct 6, 2016 11:50 AM in response to AnnyLovesPink

I have a similar problem. I recently updated my MacBook Pro to Sierra and iMovie is 10.1.2 — there are no updates beyond this version.

I import video as I normally do (from Sony video cam and also from iPhone), and I can see the video images in the timeline portion, but the Viewer area it is entirely green. When I export the video, it remains green, although I can hear audio.

I really need this to be fixed. I need this for my class.

iMovie Problems since macOS Sierra upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.