Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Call audio routing problem after ios 10 installed

Hello,

i have an iphone 6s and recently installed ios10.

After this installation there is a problem with my audio call routing.

Especially when i answer a call or i make one, i have to double tap on speaker button

so i can hear the other guy from my headset and the other guy can hear me to.

I've already set the call audio routing to automatic and tried to reset all settings to my iphone,

but the problem persists.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem as i have.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 4:17 AM

30 replies

Mar 1, 2017 12:01 PM in response to Pantelis2008

Hi I have the iPhone 5SE and exact same issue. If the headset is plugged in and I dial, can not hear the call unless I:

1st press speaker and then 2nd press speaker again to go to headset - using Apple headset.

If someone calls me the same scenario is happening. this is not all the time, but most offten than not.

I did check the settings | Accessibility | Call Audio Routing and it is set for Automatic. I tried changing but it id pointless as I DO NOT want to use the speaker and do not own the bloetooth headsets.

Is there an update for this or possibly REMOVE the audio routing that was not in the earlier OS version?

PS:

Let me add that this phone is only 5 days old as it is a 2nd phone replaced [with in 14days of purchase] by ATT after the 1st iPhone SE was doing the same thing. So 2 phones doing the EXACT same thing and both phones are NEW.

Mar 9, 2017 12:33 AM in response to norm123

I too have this very same issue, and AFTER the iOS 10 was installed. There are no fuzzies in the jack output, the case is not covering a speaker. I get bad squelching in my speaker randomly; I can't use my ear buds; I can't use a regular headset; it no longer works with my car's Bluetooth. I can hear very clearly music, iPod, streaming radio stations...just can't use my iPhone 6S Plus as it was originally intended for...calling someone! Therefore, it must be a software issue.

Mar 9, 2017 1:28 AM in response to EmmaJoHat

Probably speaking to soon but I had my battery replaced as part of the 6s/7 battery replacement programme on Saturday (6 days back) and, since that change, my phone audio has worked perfectly. I have no idea why and there are a millions reasons why this might, or should not, make the difference but it seems to have resolved the issue. (Like I said however, I may be speaking too soon)

Mar 29, 2017 5:41 PM in response to Pantelis2008

Same problem here with iPhone 6 and 2013 Chevy Traverse. Worked perfectly until updating to iOS 10.?. Been searching for a fix for months, trying all recommended solutions. At best I might get one call to work then its back to no bluetooth audio routing for incomming calls. The only reliable solution that works so far is to observe who is calling and call them back. I am surprised this has not been fixed as it is a huge safety issue. Someone is going to dig around for their phone while driving to answer a call (because the bluetooth is broken due to an Apple software update) and end up in a crash.

Apr 19, 2017 8:18 PM in response to Zy Pedrocillo

No solution yet. I have paired with a 2016 Subaru Outback and 2017 Ford F150 and the problem does not occur with those. The 2013 Chevy is still a problem even after clearing both the car and phone settings, rebooting, and trying every suggested fix I could find in the past 6 months. Chevy dealer has no clue. Apple support has no clue. Maybe a change with the bluetooth hardware or software standard between 2013 and 2016????? Time to switch cars or phone I guess (guess which one is cheaper).

Jun 25, 2017 2:40 PM in response to Pantelis2008

After exchanging 4 iPhone 6s, 2 headphones, reinstalling a software, not using a back up with a thought that maybe an app causing the audio call routing problem, I may have a solution to the problem:

Settings-->General-->Accessibility-->Call Audio Routing-->Bluetooth Headset

It must be iOS10 bug, but by selecting Bluetooth Headset and NOT Automatic, the audio call routing problem goes away. You can hear and be heard during a call right away.

I also have an iPhone 6 with iOS10, which has no such issue and Call Audio Routing is set at Automatic.

Jul 10, 2017 11:10 AM in response to Pantelis2008

I have an apparent solution which I have tested on on two phones with ios10.3.2 installed. Both are iPhone 6.

An online search led me to check out the Accessibility section of the Settings on the iPhone. The applicable section there which was named INCOMING CALLS is now CALL AUDIO routing! Why is this in Accessibility?

This is what was happening:

On the iPhones with Bluetooth earbuds connected, an incoming call could be heard on some calls on the speaker of the phone but not in the earbuds. A window would appear in which the bluetooth earbuds would be shown as a choice. Tapping that did switch the audio to the earbuds. On other incoming calls the audio could be heard both on the phone's speaker and the earbuds and tapping the bluetooth icon would switch to the earbuds only. The microphone on the earbuds was not turned on on every call either. This is inconsistent and therefore undesirable! This behaviour was the same with two phones and two different pairs of bluetooth earbuds!

This suggests at least one error in the ios software. But there is another as well.

I went into Settings ...General...Accessibility and scrolled down to Call Audio Routing

I tapped that and switched from Automatic (which was obviously manual as described above) to Bluetooth Headset.

A test call resulted in the call going only to the earbuds on on each of the phones. The microphone on the earbuds working too! Then I made another call with the earbuds disconnected to determine what would happen. The call went to the speaker and microphone on the phone.

Conclusion? Automatic setting is NOT automatic. Bluetooth Headset setting appears to provide the desired automatic functionality if no bluetooth headset is connected. This could be as simple as those two options being labelled incorrectly.

Apple, if you read these postings, please fix this and the inconsistent results mentioned above in the next ios update.

Jul 10, 2017 1:42 PM in response to Rob Brown

Supplementary to my previous response:

Just to see what happens I switched the Call Audio Routing to SPEAKER and connected my bluetooth earbuds.

An incoming call went to the earbuds ONLY. Disconnected the earbuds and incoming call went to the phone speaker only! So it appears that both the BLUETOOTH and the SPEAKER setting work AUTOMATICALLY with BLUETOOTH devices connected or disconnected and the AUTOMATIC Setting works MANUALLY. What sort of reverse logic has been applied here? :-)

Nov 23, 2017 1:06 AM in response to Pantelis2008

Same problem started when upgrading iphone 5S to 10.3.X, left my other 5S in 10.2 and works perfect.

Whatsapp, facetime calls, skype calls all go to car bluetooth as intended, phone call is not routed so I have to press speaker to hear.

If I ask siri to dial a phone call, she talks through bluetooth anouncing she will make the call but the mutes totally When the call is connected.

Is not the car, same happens with Bose Bluetooth headset an some mini bt speaker.

Already tried: reset, reset and wipe, restore to previous firmware 11.0., update to latest, and nothing helps.

Guess my next phone won't be the X but any android that connects calls to the car!

Sep 27, 2016 8:54 AM in response to Pantelis2008

Hi Pantelis2008,

I understand that you are having some troubles hearing people when on calls on your iPhone 6s. I know it's important to be able to effectively use your iPhone to make phone calls, so I'm happy to help.

Did you have this issue before updating to iOS 10? Do you have a case on your iPhone?

If you don't have a case, you can also check to make sure there is no debris blocking the microphone or receiver. You can see more about that and how to troubleshoot your issue here:
If you can't hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn't clear on your iPhone - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Call audio routing problem after ios 10 installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.