Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 10 with self-signed certificate in MS Exchange

Hi,

i try to connect a iPhone 5SE on iOS 10.0.2 with an MS Exchange 2013 Server.

The iPhone stops with "Cannot Verify Server". On iOS i had the choice between "Detail", "Cancel" and "Continue".

On iOS 10, i can choose between "Detail" and "Cancel".

Is it necessary to import the matching root-ca to the iPhone?

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2016 7:01 AM

After 3 days of speaking to Apple, 1st level, then 2nd level, then 3rd level, then being referred to Apple UK 4th tier support, who then referred me to Apple international enterprise partner support. They have finally acknowledged there is an issue. They will not take no responsibility for causing the problem because they say it is a “cross level system” ie Apple talking to Microsoft, even though it only affects ios 10. They have said they are working on a fix but it won’t be rolled out until most likely the next couple of versions of ios 10. They apparently will keep me in the loop on their progress.

For the time being the only workaround I found is to use the Microsoft Outlook client for iphones, until Apple notifies otherwise.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2016 7:01 AM in response to son1c

After 3 days of speaking to Apple, 1st level, then 2nd level, then 3rd level, then being referred to Apple UK 4th tier support, who then referred me to Apple international enterprise partner support. They have finally acknowledged there is an issue. They will not take no responsibility for causing the problem because they say it is a “cross level system” ie Apple talking to Microsoft, even though it only affects ios 10. They have said they are working on a fix but it won’t be rolled out until most likely the next couple of versions of ios 10. They apparently will keep me in the loop on their progress.

For the time being the only workaround I found is to use the Microsoft Outlook client for iphones, until Apple notifies otherwise.

Oct 29, 2016 7:19 AM in response to RoadrunnerBF

Hello,

i have the same issue, self signed certicate and ios 10.1 does not fit (on my iphone) - on my ipad it works because the account was created in an 9.x version and I think there was an "accept" or "install" button for the certificate - now there is no one and i can´t use my exchange account.

Please Apple help and make a solution to accpet self signed certificates

Thanks

Eric

Nov 23, 2016 5:11 AM in response to f.hien

You have to delete and re-add your Exchange account, except when re-adding it, specify a correct server name but provide false info for the other fields. So for example, enter the server name as normal but then put the letter "a" in the other fields. When you click next it will ask if you want to continue instead of just details or cancel, and then it'll say it cannot verify Exchange details, at which point click OK and enter the correct info in all fields, then click next and save, and voila Exchange should be working again.

I had that headache myself when we changed the self-signed certificate on our Exchange server. Very annoying bug (or feature) that Apple introduced in iOS 10. In iOS 9 and below, any changes in certificates prompts you to continue as normal without having to do the above.

Why Apple???

Dec 14, 2016 11:41 PM in response to son1c

None of the provided Solutions worked for me, but I got it working either way using a slightly different Approach.

This has been tested twice with both an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air (don't know the Revision) running iOS 10.2

First off, delete all Exchange-related Certificates off of your iDevice.

Then export your Domains root-CA's certificate(s), which is used to establish the Domain trust.

Send yourself an E-Mail containing the certificate(s) and make sure to Import it/them from within the mail app. (this is crucial)

Afterwards you can re-add your Exchange-Account and it will give you the Option to trust the Connection, because now the CA is known and trusted by your device.

I hope this helps. I was also struggling with this issue since October and stumbled upon this solution by complete accident at work.

Regards,

ios 10 with self-signed certificate in MS Exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.