Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G5 DP 1.8GHz/GeForce FX 5200 - DELL 2407WFP 24" LCD compatibility?

Hi all,

I am running Mac OS 10.3.9 (up-to-date) and would like to ask if there's anyone using and/or knowing about the following compatibility:

PowerMac G5 dual processor 1.8GHz with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (64MB VRAM)

and

DELL UltraSharp 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat panel LCD Monitor

I have the PDF spec sheet for this DELL monitor, but unfortunately couldn't find accurate info about this particular and possible scenario.

Related info:
Size (Viewable Image Screen): 24 inches (24-inch viewable image size)
Optimal Resolution: 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz
Connector Type: Analog, DVI-D (Digital) with HDCP
Other Connectors/Features: S-Video, Composite, Component, Integrated 9-in-2 media card reader/slots, Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 Ports, Kensington security port

Hope that someone can help. I am currently testing a DELL UltraSharp 2007WFP 20-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor and it works flawlessly, but I am interested in paying a little bit more and buy the 24".

Thank you all in advance,

Power Mac G4 Cube DP 1.7GHz (+ base panaflo fan) Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Dec 12, 2006 3:29 AM

12 replies

Dec 13, 2006 3:08 AM in response to SeaPapp

Mike: thanks for posting!

As far as I understand, DELL LCD monitors and Apple PowerMac computers (with their standard 64MB graphic cards) don't have any compatibility issues, though none of the forums/threads/movies you point are 2407WFP related.

Meanwhile, I have emailed DELL and trusting their reply, they assure all of their current line LCD monitors use the latest revision, probably REV A03, as described in this recent Apple discussion:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3541462&#3541462

I will definitely give the DELL UltraSharp 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat panel LCD Monitor a try and will return to this thread with some conclusive feedback.

Again, thank you for taking your time reading/guiding me.

JM

Power Mac G4 Cube DP 1.7GHz + 7V zalman base fan Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Dec 20, 2006 3:13 AM in response to Joe Faber

Hi Joe,

Actually, I am replying to you using the DELL LCD 20-inch (2007WFP) Wide Aspect UltraSharp in a PowerMac G5 DP 1.8GHz (with a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 64MB) and all I have to say is I am very pleased with the results. No blurring images using the maximum resolution available: 1680 x 1050. Eye-focusing carefully, there's some minor grain in all white areas, but no other incompatibility issues to report.

These models have the vertical oriented rotation possibility, but I couldn't figure out how to make Mac OS X 10.4.8 to respond accordingly. That is, I can't make the menu bar to rotate 90º/-90º (to respect the monitor rotation). All other hardware features (including bundled DELL monitor software adjusting) are 100% compatible and the LCD is automatically recognised in the "Display" (color tab) preference pane as: DELL 2007WFP.

I have already ordered the DELL LCD 24-inch (2407WFP) Wide Aspect UltraSharp but have not tested it yet... still waiting.

JM

Jan 3, 2007 4:09 AM in response to Malcolm Rayfield

Macolm: thanks for posting!

Good to know about that.
So does this means that if I switch my current NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 with a compatible (64MB) ATi GPU, the Mac OS X 10.4.8/PowerMac G5 will have the possibility to handle the 90°/-90ª rotation feature!?

JM

Jan 8, 2007 8:03 AM in response to Joe Faber

Hi Joe,

Here I am (as promised) to state some few words about the DELL LCD 24-inch (2407WFP) Wide Aspect UltraSharp that I received yesterday...

Concerning definition, brightness, color depth, the 24-inch is definitely better when compared to the 20-inch I've tried (no more grain in white areas)... I am not even comparing total working area and resolution: 1680x1050 vs 1920x1200!

I am very pleased with the results and DELL is just fantastic when contacted for business, further details and/or doubts.

JM

Jan 8, 2007 8:08 AM in response to Steve Boultbee

Thank you both (Steve and Malcolm) for your replies.

So what you are saying is Mac OS X adds another optional tab in the "Displays" Preference pane that includes/supports screen rotation amongst others!?

Mine (OS X version 10.3.9 with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 64MB VRAM) is actually only showing "Display" and "Color" tabs for monitor settings.

JM

PowerMac G5 DP 1.8GHz/GeForce FX 5200 - DELL 2407WFP 24" LCD compatibility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.