Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple update ios 10.0.2 battery drain fast.

battery drain extremly fast on new update ios 10.0.2 anyone know how to fix this problem?

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 8:04 PM

110 replies

Jul 26, 2017 6:18 AM in response to John Gawong

Go To Settings>genaral>accessabillity>reduce motion Then Turn That On

now goto left home screen>edit then remove most or all cards

Swipe up From bottom of screen then turn the screen brightness down

Finally Press and hold any app on home screen then unninstall all apps you dont use even system apps plus update your iphone before following these steps but if your iphone is up to date just go ahead and follow my steps

Sep 27, 2016 3:22 AM in response to John Gawong

IF you go into Preferences -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services you will see a culprit (if you have the Status Bar option enabled). The Compas calibration and Location based alerts constantly activate and deactivate. This

is on a brand new iPhone 7 that got great battery life on 10.0.1 - I usually got by for 48 hours between charges with moderate use (a few hrs web surfing and using 3rd party messaging). Even with the above workarounds i am watching my battery meter drop 3 percent as i type this. I did an OTA ipdate. I will be heading home to downgrade ipsw. I just lost confidence in Apples software QA. Apple staff who may read this, if you are going to nag us with daily OTA updates can you please do more extensive testing before pushing out minor point releases? This one really put a huge hole in my battery life and confidence in Apple quality. I can understand the complexity of the myriad of ios settings and 3rd party software interactions but maybe more testing time is needed between dot point releases..

Sep 27, 2016 6:16 AM in response to weeasle

OK - Update! I managed to resolve all issues and stop the battery drain. I had downloaded the 10.0.1 ipsw and was intending to downgrade but it turns out I didnt have to. In itunes I clicked the backup button. Then I noticed I did not have the "Restore iPhone" button. In its place was the button labeled "Restore Backup". So I did that, selecting the backup I had just made... The Restore from backup fixed all the issues. So the summary is: Dont trust OTA upgrades... Ever!!! Always use itunes.. Now this explains to me why there are huge threads of annoyed customers with battery drain and other issues but some sail through the upgrade.. Apple please fix your OTA update!! And in the meantime, can you at least for the love of pete (or Steve/tim) give us a dismiss button on the OTA update nag instead of dragging is across two prompts (the minimal way to avoid the nag by clicking Details) ... Yes i get it that security updates can be critical but am surprised a company which prides itself on Customer Experience cannot find

a better balance of nag convenience.. Sorry for the rant but I have had many such negative experiences with OTA updates.. This has driven it home for me.. I will not trust that feature again (without a lot of convincing)... I hope this info helps someone and maybe a higher up at Apple reads this and gives it due thought. Basically I believe it to be a settings migration (or update corruption issue) and an iTunes computer based iPhone/iPad backup and restore avoids the issue and corrects it...

Sep 27, 2016 6:56 AM in response to weeasle

So a short version of the above - THE RESOLUTION AND FIX!

If you did an OTA (Over the Air) update to 10.0.2 (through settings-general-software update) and are experiencing major issues (especially rapid battery drain), follow these steps to fix your iPhone/iPad and get a working. 10.0.2

Use iTunes on a Mac or Windows Computer

Connect iPhone/iPad using USB-lightning cable

Click the "Backup" button (to back up your data - be sure to select Account-Authorizations-Authorize This Computer if you want to backup all your apps too)

When Backup has completed successfully, Click the "Restore Backup" button and follow prompts

ENjoy a problem free update as it should be

AVoid OTA Updates until Apple make this feature dependable and trustworthy. And please submit bug reports about these issues and request they tone-down the OTA update 24-hourly nagging..

Sep 27, 2016 11:29 PM in response to weeasle

Thanks for that suggestion!

I downgraded iPhone 7 firmware from 10.0.2 back to 10.0.1.

Here are my findings:

After a full charge I let the iPhone in Standby over night, not plugged in and no use at all:

10.0.2: Battery status from 100% to 49% in 6,5 hours

10.0.1: Battery status from 100% to 77% in 7,5 hours

Hope this helps others too.

Sep 29, 2016 6:57 AM in response to weeasle

For what it's worth, following these steps does NOT fix the issue. I have done this on all of my affected devices, 8 in total, and all still suffer from rapid battery drain. The 2 iPhone 6s' feel it the most. During my 20 minute drive to work, my phone will go from 100% down to 80%.

I have done complete backups and restorations on the following devices... all still have problems.

iPhone 6s 64G

iPhone 6s 64G

iPhone 5 32G

iPhone 5 16G

iPad Mini 3 64G

iPad Mini 3 16G

iPad Mini 2 32G

iPad Mini 2 16G

The fact of the matter is that Apple needs to release a software update quickly. It is obvious that the release of 10.0.2 was done so without properly testing it.

Sep 29, 2016 6:53 PM in response to dalejsanders

HI Dale,

THat is very interesting! since many of us have tried many things to fix the bug and not succeeded and since your battery drain problem happens on so many devices, I feel it's very likely that the problem relates to a particular app you have installed.

can you please post screenshots of all your apps installed?

THen I will reply with the Apps I have installed that match yours - this way perhaps we can narrow down an app which may be causing the glitch in iOS 10.0.2... Then someone here could try the update without that App/s to see the result and then report to apple a bug report

Sep 30, 2016 6:35 AM in response to francorg

Apple are you reading these posts??? (4 community threads have accumulated with dozens of posts each and increae ny the hour - for every post there would be hundreds who got hit with terrible battery life who didnt know how or bother to post). I hope a new iOS version is release soon to restore shattered customer confidence in Apple quality..

Apple update ios 10.0.2 battery drain fast.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.