Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back round app refresh won't stay off on apple watch

I go into the watch app on my iPhone to turn off backround app refresh for some apps but they all turn right back on after i leave the watch app. both watch and iPhone are updated to newest iOS

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 8:37 PM

3 replies

Sep 28, 2016 8:34 AM in response to repetrillo

Hi there repetrillo,

If I understand correctly you are trying to toggle background refresh off for some apps but they just turn right back on as soon as you leave the app. I would quit the Watch app first:

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then restart both the Apple Watch and your iPhone and try turning the settings back off again.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your Apple Watch

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, let us know how that goes.

Sep 28, 2016 7:36 PM in response to jeremy_v

I encountered the same problem. It is believed this problem is caused by a programiming bug in the app. There is a workaround.

After you finish making changes, do not immediately press "< General" in the upper left corner to go back to the previous screen. Toggle "Background App Refresh" option to off. Then press "< General" to go to the previous screen.

After that, go to "Background App Refresh" screen again. Toggle "Background App Refresh" to on again. Then you can quit the app and re-open the app to check. You will find your changes remain there.

Back round app refresh won't stay off on apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.