Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share a folder from iCloud Drive?

I'm now on MacOS and was wondering if I can share a link to a folder that's on iCloud Drive to friends?

thanks!

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 11:00 PM

What I do when I want to share a folder is creating a sparseimage file from Disk Utility and share this file. In it you can add any files and folders you want. This must be mounted every time you want to do something with this files.

14 replies

Feb 23, 2018 3:20 AM in response to zinacef

This is such a massive shame. I know Apple always trail when it comes to features but for something so simple and common is just silly.

I have just recently got into my Apple products, with 2 iPhones (me & the wife) an iPad and a Macbook pro. The main thing that bought me to iCloud was the seamless access between devices and being able to share things with my wife.

I bought a 2gb iCloud plan, set up family sharing and thought I would be good to go. Thrown a lot of content on there and it turns out only I can see it!

I really hope this gets changed soon, as a lot of people are heading to the competition who, as much as they aren't as seamless in my opinion, are way ahead of the game.

Dec 10, 2017 5:54 PM in response to hernanfromseattle

Perfect! I understand that apple wants to be careful and thoughtful on everything they do, but sometimes they just take too long and miss out on opportunities. For those of us who would rather be exclusively in the ecosystem, having to go outside and find a workaround is quite disappointing.

The reason why I found this post was because I wanted to have a shared folder with my wife. Now I just can't have to find something else or just send her the file and deal with different versions. :/

Sep 27, 2016 7:18 AM in response to halfstar16

No - iCloud drive and its folder structure is strictly for sharing with one account.

For some iWork documents and photos, you can share them individually or by adding someone to a shared photo album, but that's based on the app design and not a more general folder based file sharing idiom.

You could use Apple's MailDrop feature to email each file to the recipient(s) that need to share the file, but it wouldn't be anything that's hosted and really shared in the sense that a change to the file by one user would then be reflected on the cloud.

Can I share a folder from iCloud Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.