Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove iCloud files downloaded to iPad

If I have files in my iCloud drive that were created on my Mac. I initially these files must be downloaded to my iOS device. Once they have been downloaded, is there any way to remove the local content on my iOS device?

I don't particularly care about an isolated PDF, but I am looking ahead to putting all my Documents and Desktop items into the iCloud Drive under Sierra - at that point the total quantity of files could become an issue.

iPad Air, iOS 10.0.2, iPad Air 2

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 8:29 AM

10 replies

Oct 8, 2016 6:57 AM in response to M Tesla

Thank you for sharing your experience!!!🙂

What I understand you to be doing is this:

#1 Turn off iCloud on the iOS device

#2 Reboot the iOS device

#3 Turn on iCloud Drive on the iOS device and wait until the file names are downloaded on to the iOS device.

#4 Then if you want to access the file(s) again, you need to repeat a download to your iOS device.

Assuming this process deletes one local copy, it seems to me the process would delete all local copies.

Do you have experience suggesting otherwise?

Finally since you have experience using iCloud drive, let me ask you this one -- Does the Mac on which your files originated or were before you uploaded the files to iCloud retain a local copy? i.e. if you turn your WiFi off, can you still open files? (It is not nice, but occasionally WiFi does not work!)

Oct 9, 2017 7:29 PM in response to Twocybers

So.. is there a basic way to remove iCloud files from my iPad without actually deleting then from iCloud? Just like iTunes purchases. To free up space. So the file is still there in iCloud and on any other device I’ve opened it, but it has a little cloud in the corner and needs to download again to open. Os11 now👍

To be completely honest. I did only skim over most of this thread. But I’m pretty sure simple answer I’m after, which I also believe is the answer the author.. host.. instigator.. contestant number one.. of this thread.. Twocybers was looking for. All due respect I’m not well versed in forum etiquette, grammar, vocabulary or spelling. So I put the basic question first because if you’ve made it this far, I am grateful and honoured. Please don’t waste anymore of your time.. besides answering my question.

Thanks good people!

Sep 27, 2016 9:18 AM in response to zinacef

That is precisely the issue - I want to delete the local copy from my iOS device, but keep the copy on the iCloud drive.

Well I don't really need it on the iCloud drive, but I really do need to keep the file and once I move the Documents folder under Sierra to the iCloud drive Deleting/Removing the file will mean no copy "exists" for my Mac.

Oct 8, 2016 6:47 AM in response to Twocybers

I could not find a way to do so after googling and looking all over the different option in my iPad. Hi, I do definitely believe that Apple should offer an option to delete the local copy of files downloaded from iCloud Drive to an iOS device (like Dropbox does). Nonetheless I found a workaround to recover the space used by videos and pdf files, etc downloaded from iClould drive to my iPad. Unfortunately this workaround removes everything that has been downloaded altogether, but at least I was able to recover the space. If in the future if for some reason I need a local copy of a file I had previously downloaded , I will have to download it again, which in my case does not seem to be a great deal.

I am using iOS 10 and I do not know if this works in other versions.

Here is what I did :

1) This step is to check that this procedure works for you. So, in the iCloud Drive app, look for a video or pdf file that when opening it does not ask you to download it. That is a file that has already been downloaded and resides as a local copy on your iOS devices. Take note of the location and name of that file. Also take note of the free space available on your iOS device, under Settings > General >Storage & iCloud Usage > STORAGE section > Available.

1) Disable iCloud drive by going to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Turn iCloud Drive Switch to OFF.

2) Wait some seconds and Enable iCloud drive again by turning the iCloud Drive Switch to ON.

3) As an extra measure, restart your iOS device.

4) After restart completes launch the iCloud Drive app and be patient, it will take several minutes to reload all your folders in iCloud Drive. In my case I am interested in the Documents and Desktop folders from my Mac running MacOS Sierra.

5) Once you see your folders as you would on you Mac or PC, go and look for the file you tried on step 1), you should now be asked to download it, which indicates that the file is no longer in your iOS device. Also, the available storage in your device should increase noticeably if you had downloaded a significant amount of files and/or large files previously.

I hope this helps, although again, this is by no means the way things should work in the first place, but for me it was better that being stuck with a bunch of files I did not need on my iPad anymore.

Other than that I think that iCloud Drive under MacOS Sierra and iOS 10 is a huge leap forward from Apple and I been liking it a lot so far.

Regards,

Oct 8, 2016 10:00 AM in response to Twocybers

HI Towcybers, in your step #1 do not turn off iCloud in your iOS device, instead just turn off iCloud drive inside your iCloud preferences, you will still be signed in to your iCloud account, you just turn off iCloud Drive, just that service. In my experiment this action deleted All Local copies in my iPad. Now, at this point do these tow steps in any order : Turn on the iCloud Drive switch back on ( remember, I am not talking about iCloud as a whole, just the iCloud Drive switch inside iCloud config) and restart your iOS device. Once you have turned on the iCloud Drive switch and restarted (in any order), go ahead and open your iCloud adrive app and you will probably see just a couple of folder, just wait and be patient. Assuming your iOS device is connected to the Internet, more and more of your folders in your iCloud account, (including your Mac's Destop and Documents folders if you enabled this new functionality in your Mac running Sierra) will appear in your iCloud app. It will take a couple of minutes before you can see all of them and their subfolders and all the files they contain. This is because, in my experience, neither the files in my iCloud account nor in the Mac which I originated them from were deleted or missing, at all. At this point, it is like the first time you enabled iCloed Drive on your iOS device, ie. no local copies of anything in your iOS device and ALL of your files and folders safe and sound in both, your originating Mac and your iCloud account. You could disconnect your Mac from the internet and all of your files and folders will be locally available in it. They also will be present in the iCloud servers. So, yes, if you want a local copy of any of your files back again in your iOS device, you will need to download again, but at least you will have recovered a lot of the space in you iOS device that has been taken by files you do not need any longer as local copies on your iOS device.

As a side note, this procedure also removes the iOS devices' local copies of Keynote, Numbers and Pages files. I mention this because iOS seems to deal a little differently with those kinds of files than with the vidoes and pdfs which are access from inside the iCloud app. But again, no worries, those original Keynote, Numbers and Pages files will not be deleted from your originating Mac or from the iCloud servers. Now in the case of Keynote, Numbers and Pages you can configure them on your iOS device so they download all the files in their corresponding iCloud folder automatically, as opposed to in a case by case fashion, which could be ir could not be of convinience to you, but I wanted to let you know in case you don't know about it and you find it usefull. To acces this option, go to Settings > Keynote, Numbers, Pages > On-demand Downloads. If you turn that off, all of your removed files will be downloaded automatically, but just for those three applications.

Now, if you are in doubt that by following this "iOS local copies removal procedure" you may end up loosing your files on your originating Mac and/or iCloud account, which in my case did not happen at all, may I suggest you backup all your iCloud files to an external hard drive beforehands, so in case something goes wrong it will be just a matter of restoring whatever lost.

Well, very long answer, sorry about that, I hope this helps you and other somehow, because honestly, Apple's documentation for this situation (and others) is almost nonexistent, at least in my experience.

Best regards.

Oct 8, 2016 7:07 PM in response to Twocybers

Thank you very much! All too often I read too fast and miss an important step.

I have tested and it happened exactly as you said. Actually I removed two Excel files that I put into the iCloud drive. I created a path like this:

HomeFolder >iCloud Drive>Excel

and placed two files there. The local copies were removed by your procedure. When I turn the iCloud drive back on and accessed it, I saw Aliases or icons return. When I clicked on the icons I could see the actual Excel spread sheets downloading as a clock count down. (For reasons I don't understand, it is not possible to edit the Excel files unless I bring them in via Microsoft's OneDrive - but I can view them. So in the process of working on this issue I learn another important item - how to edit my Excel Spreadsheets.)

Thank you again.

How do I remove iCloud files downloaded to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.