Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I boot up in 32 bit mode?

MacBook Pro 17" (8,3) i7 2.2 GHz Quad Core 16 GB DDR3 750 GB HD OS X Mavericks 10.9.5

I am trying to connect an old USB 1.1 device that has firmware incompatible with 64-bit OS X. The manufacturer of the device has instructions for a workaround that allows access to the device in order to update the firmware, providing 64-bit OS X support. This workaround requires me to boot up in 32-bit mode by holding down the "3" and "2" keys during the boot cycle. They show how to check and see if your Mac is in 32-bit mode, but my window doesn't match their example, and my machine does not seem to be in 32-bit mode. I have found several references to this "3" + "2" boot up keyboard shortcut, but nothing official from Apple.

Please do not recommend upgrading the OS. The software I am using is not supported by the manufacturer past Mavericks.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 9:51 AM

8 replies

Sep 27, 2016 9:59 AM in response to Pryce

if the software is compatible with Mavericks as you state the developer shows you should be able to use the device in 32 or 64 bit.

when using any boot modification from the suggestion from anyone on the internet always proceed with caution and any damages sustained are exclusively your own:

Method 1: Startup key combination
This will bypass the default mode and use a different mode for one session only.

• If your Mac uses 32 bit mode by default, press 6 and 4 during startup
  • If your Mac uses the 64 bit mode by default, press 3 and 2 during startup

Note: Your Mac will revert to the default mode the next time it starts up.Method 2: On-disk setting
This will change the default mode that your Mac uses when starting up.
For 32 bit mode, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

For 64 bit mode, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

Sep 28, 2016 10:16 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

|

| "The last MacOS version that supported 32-bit mode for the entire OS was 10.7 Lion."

|

What about partial support?

-- All I need is a 32-bit environment in which I can access the device (via USB) and run the associated software, so I can update the device's firmware, and then it can be used with 64-bit OS X.

|

| "¿got a 10.6 DVD?"

|

I don't have one myself, but I do have access to one.

Sep 28, 2016 10:46 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

|

| "if the software is compatible with Mavericks as you state the developer shows you should be able to use the device

| in 32 or 64 bit."

|

Yes ... the software is 64-bit (Mavericks) compatible ... the hardware device the software connects to (via USB) has firmware in it that is not 64-bit compatible (ver. 1.1 firmware installed ... current ver. 3.2). The device is not recognized at all by the computer (in 64-bit mode). I need to boot up in 32-bit mode in order to connect to the device with the software, so that I can update the device's firmware. With the new firmware, both the device and its software are 64-bit compatible.

|

| "Method 1: Startup key combination

| This will bypass the default mode and use a different mode for one session only.

| - If your Mac uses 32 bit mode by default, press 6 and 4 during startup

| - If your Mac uses the 64 bit mode by default, press 3 and 2 during startup

|

| Note: Your Mac will revert to the default mode the next time it starts up.

|

As stated in my original post ... I have tried pressing 3 and 2 during startup ... and nothing happens. I cannot connect to the device (and YES, the USB device does work).

|

| "Method 2: On-disk setting

| This will change the default mode that your Mac uses when starting up.For 32 bit mode, use the following command in Terminal:

| - sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

| For 64 bit mode, use the following command in Terminal:

| - sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

|

If my system is incapable of booting up in 32-bit mode, as Grant Bennet-Alder suggests, then this suggestion is pointless. (however it is good information to have, thank you)

Sep 28, 2016 10:56 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

|

| "The way it is supposed to work, any 32-bit Application is supposed to be able to run just fine in the current 64-bit

| environment.

|

| You should just try running the firmware updater first before you knock yourself out installing a 32-bit MacOS.

|

The problem is not with the software. The problem resides in the hardware ... its firmware to be precise. The software doesn't even see the hardware, so there is no way that I can run the firmware updater. (see my reply to JimmyCMPIT's suggestion)

Sep 28, 2016 11:34 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

|

| "yes, the advice about holding 3 and 2 is a little old. It applies to the versions of Mac OS that could run both 64-bit

| AND 32-bit: 10.6 and 10.7.

|

That actually explains a lot for me in regards to more than just this situation. Thank you.

My source for the 10.6 install disk also has a Mac Pro 1,1 (32-bit) ... I will probably just take everything over to his house and update my USB hardware using his machine.

Thank you for all your help.

Can I boot up in 32 bit mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.