Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jaybird headphones not pairing..

iPhone 7 plus bluetooth keeps spinning, no device discovered

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2016 12:25 PM

I bought a pair of bluetooth Jaybirds just 2 months ago, and they paired immediately with my iPhone 6s Plus. I just upgraded to the iPhone 7 Plus, and the Jaybirds would not pair...just as with you, just the spinner going trying to discover. I brought it up, while at the Apple Store during the set up of the new phone. Apple staff reaction...Oh well, SOL! That isn't a verbatim quote, but that is the gist. Needless to say, I was beyond unhappy.

Got home and figured it out...at least this is how it worked for me on my set of Jaybirds and the iPhone 7 plus.

Power off the Jaybirds

Turn off bluetooth in the iPhone settings

Turn bluetooth back on in the iPhone settings - the spinner should be going

Hold the power button ON, on the Jaybirds, and CONTINUE holding it on, even after the buds tell you "Power On, xx% charged"...

After just a few extra seconds, the iPhone bluetooth screen "discovered" the ear buds.

At that point, you can let off the power button.

Hope that helps...

My excitement for the new 7 is somewhat restored.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2016 12:25 PM in response to qwer134

I bought a pair of bluetooth Jaybirds just 2 months ago, and they paired immediately with my iPhone 6s Plus. I just upgraded to the iPhone 7 Plus, and the Jaybirds would not pair...just as with you, just the spinner going trying to discover. I brought it up, while at the Apple Store during the set up of the new phone. Apple staff reaction...Oh well, SOL! That isn't a verbatim quote, but that is the gist. Needless to say, I was beyond unhappy.

Got home and figured it out...at least this is how it worked for me on my set of Jaybirds and the iPhone 7 plus.

Power off the Jaybirds

Turn off bluetooth in the iPhone settings

Turn bluetooth back on in the iPhone settings - the spinner should be going

Hold the power button ON, on the Jaybirds, and CONTINUE holding it on, even after the buds tell you "Power On, xx% charged"...

After just a few extra seconds, the iPhone bluetooth screen "discovered" the ear buds.

At that point, you can let off the power button.

Hope that helps...

My excitement for the new 7 is somewhat restored.

Oct 26, 2017 3:27 AM in response to qwer134

I really wish this fixed my issue. New Jaybird X3 Headphone, worked for 3 weeks, then today they would not pair with my iPhone 6.

• Tried soft reset headphones
  • Hard Reset
  • Restart of iPhone
  • The suggestions here

Nothing so far has worked. I'm starting to suspect it is a issue with the headphones as they won't pair with my MacBook Air or iPad 😟

Jan 24, 2017 12:55 PM in response to oldduke62

Had the same problem with my iPad Air not connecting... No issues with my iPhone6 or my iPad Pro, just the Air (1st gen.) I followed these directions posted by oldduke62 and it worked immediately and perfectly! I'm posting my experience because I have a suspicion it's the Jaybrids and not the iOS device... I haven't had any problems with my Air and any other bluetooth device... I have several (keyboards, speakers, etc.)

Mar 19, 2017 10:15 AM in response to oldduke62

Thank God for your post. I had the same exact issue with the same exact headphones. They worked perfectly with the iPhone 6 but off and on with the iPhone 7. Then with the latest update with iOS10.2.1 my Bluetooth connectivity has been garbage with everything but our portable Bose speaker. No offense to you but it is an absolute joke that Apple can't resolve issues such as these and Pauly Public has to come up with the solutions. To pour it on a little more the first iPhone 7 I was sent didn't even work. Phone would not audibly ring when a phone call came through but text messages and music played fine. Videos wouldn't play. To say the least the phone had an issue from day 1. It took Apple 3 months to finally acknowledge there was an uncorrectable issue and allow for me to swap for another new iPhone 7.

Customer service and product performance have been extremely poor or dissapover the past couple years.

Oct 18, 2017 3:48 AM in response to qwer134

I have this problem too with my iPhone since ios9. I didn’t have this problem with ios8. Yes, I can un-pair, cycle Bluetooth and re-pair and it works everytime, but i didn’t need to do this until ios9. That makes this an Apple issue that they still haven’t fixed...unless they just want you to buy their earbuds?

Sep 28, 2016 1:14 PM in response to qwer134

Hello qwer134,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. And I see that you just got a new iPhone 7 Plus, congratulations! Always exciting when you get a new iPhone.

I see that your Jaybird bluetooth headphones are having trouble pairing to your iPhone though. I would definitely want to make sure I can pair my headphones to my iPhone, I use mine a lot. Let's see how I can help.

Please see the article Get help connecting a Bluetooth accessory with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch , specifically, these sections:

Try these steps first

1. Make sure that your Bluetooth accessory and iOS device are close to each other.
  2. Make sure that your Bluetooth accessory is on and fully charged or connected to power. If it uses batteries, test them to see if they need to be replaced.
  3. Restart your Bluetooth accessory.
  4. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  5. On your iOS device, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is on. If you can’t turn Bluetooth on or you see a spinning gear, restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  6. Unpair the Bluetooth accessory, put the accessory back in discovery mode, then pair and connect it again.

If you still can't pair or connect your Bluetooth accessory

Check with the Bluetooth manufacturer to make sure that your accessory works with your iOS device.

Contact Apple Support if you have any of these issues:

• You can’t turn on Bluetooth or the setting is grayed out.
  • You can’t connect any Bluetooth accessories with your device.
  • The accessory manufacturer confirmed that your accessory is working correctly.

Learn more

Find out which Bluetooth profiles you can use with your device.

Once you've gone through these steps, see if you get the same result when connecting.

Have a great day!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.