Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with some symbol fonts after Sierra install

Hello,

I recently upgraded the OS on my Late 2012 iMac to Sierra, since doing so I've noticed a problem with several fonts.

All of the symbolic fonts from Apple Symbols to Wingdings do not display correctly in Font Book; Apple Symbols looks like a standard san serif font, and the other symbolic fonts just show as question marks '?' where the images should be.

In Text Edit I can't even see the symbolic fonts like Wingdings and Zapf Dingbats in the picker. However they all work fine in Adobe Illustrator (CS5) and Microsoft Word 2011. Apple Symbols still looks like a standard font.

I've already tried the following:

1. Verifying fonts in Font Book

2. Resolving duplicates in Font Book

3. Using the 'Restore Standard Fonts' option in Font Book

4. Deleting the Fonts plist file in the preferences folder

5. Removed the font cache and database

I'm out of ideas. Has anyone else had the same problem found a fix?

Regards,

Greville

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 11:35 PM

20 replies

Sep 28, 2016 4:22 PM in response to Greville

I'm just adding that I used the recovery partition to do a clean install of Sierra on an external hard-drive and then booted into it to see if it had the same issue.

And it does. Wingdings and other picture fonts show up as '?' in boxes where the letters should be in Font Book.

So this seems to be an issue with the way that Sierra displays those fonts, not with the font files themselves.

Problem with some symbol fonts after Sierra install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.