Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Surfing with an Apple Watch Series 2

Is the Apple Watch Series 2 sufficiently water-resistant to wear while surfing? The website shows someone sitting on a board with an Apple Watch and the assistants at the Apple Store say yes, but word of mouth in a warranty case won't count for much. Does anyone know for certain?

While I'm at it, is it possible to contact Apple and get a reply in writing?

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 11:52 PM

16 replies

Jan 19, 2018 7:33 AM in response to al239

Some users have reported experiencing issues with the Sport Band having come undone during swimming in the ocean.

You may prefer to use a band with a different type of fastening, such as a Woven Nylon band (which has a buckle) or a Sport Loop:

Buy Apple Watch Bands - Apple

Keep in mind that leather and stainless steel bands are not water resistant so should not be worn, for example, when swimming.

Jun 18, 2017 12:47 AM in response to timmyoshea

No, it ***** for surfing. You start the workout and it will stop randomly throughout your surf session. And it is hit or miss to restart it because you're in the water and the screen doesn't work in the water.

In fact, it has a lock function to keep it recording and to omit erroneous input. The only way to unlock it is to fully turn the dial, which is what you should do after surfing, because this is where the speaker emits a sound to eject the water. But because the workout stops randomly, you need to do this while you're in the water, if you want to get the workout started again. And good luck swiping right to get to the screen where you resume the workout.

All in all, it absolutely ***** for surfing. And Apple used surfing in their advertisements. Criminals.

<Edited by Host>

Sep 28, 2016 12:06 AM in response to timmyoshea

Hi

Apple advised during the September Special Event that Apple Watch Series 2 can be worn when surfing. The product information page also refers to "Splash. Surf. Swim."

http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-2/

Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 metres under ISO standard 22810:2010, which means that it may be used for shallow-water activities (eg swimming in a pool or ocean). It should not be used for activities involving submersion below shallow depth or high-velocity water (including scuba diving or waterskiing).

After swimming, be sure to clean your Apple Watch Series 2 by gently rinsing it with warm tap water. The watch and band should be dried using a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth. Also be sure to expel water from the speaker using Water Lock.

More information:

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd707b42a5e

Oct 2, 2016 8:06 PM in response to timmyoshea

Apple has some details about their waterproof rating on the Apple Watch Product page. Details are below!

Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.

I don't think that you'd be able to get anything that's legally binding stating that if you go surfing with the watch that you're guaranteed service or replacement under AppleCare or your Warranty. You're welcome to try Live Chat through the Contact Us page where you can request a copy of the chat transcript though!

You can also check out the official Warranty and AppleCare+ documentation:

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecarep lusnaen.html

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/warranty-us.html

Dec 6, 2016 7:27 AM in response to timmyoshea

Hi Tim,

I know this is a late reply, but I happen to see your question while searching for something else. I have used my Apple Watch Series 2 while surfing on 3 occasions. In my case, I always wear protection on my arms from the sun and temperatures, so my watch is either under my rash guard, or my wetsuit. I do this to protect the glass on the watch from an occasional knock on my surfboard, but I don't think it's necessary. I'm using the sport watch band, I keep it a notch tighter during surfing. I would recommend placing the watch in "water mode". This limits the touch screen usage. I found that when the water beads up on the watch face, this can lead to unexpected "taps" or unexpected response to "taps". In water mode, I've found that the watch responds to crown press or watch face tap pretty well. The watch face tap in water mode, if there's not a bead of water on the face during the tap, just shows you the current time, or if you have the workout feature enabled, your stats for workout. I have the "show watch face on arm raise" disabled on the watch. During surfing, your arms go through a lot of motion, so having the watch face illuminate all the time, will probably just lead to loss of battery life, with minimum benefit. That's just my opinion. The watch actually does a good job of monitoring my heart rate, and give me some good "exercise" credit minutes during my surfing, even though I haven't activated any type of workout activity. I haven't tried to enable an outdoor exercise activity, which enables the GPS, but I'll try the next time we get a good swell. I think using some sound judgement based on the size of the waves, and conditions probably make sense, as to whether you should wear your watch while surfing. If your in double overhead conditions, and likely to take heavy wipe outs, I would probably recommend a less expensive watch, but that's just my recommendation. Good luck, and hope you get some good waves...

Surfing with an Apple Watch Series 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.