Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG Ultrawide resolution problem

I have an LG Ultra wide Monitor than will support a resolution of 2560 x 1080 @ 60 Hz.

Unfortunately since I've upgraded to OS Sierra I've lost the ability to use the above resolution and I'm stuck at the 1080p resolution which makes for an awful experience.

I use an HDMI cable to connect the monitor.

I've read the other resolved posts, but I'm unwilling to use a third party application to achieve a resolution that once was supported.

Will this issue be resolved in a future update?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.4 GB 256GPU

Posted on Sep 28, 2016 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2017 11:52 AM

I had the same problem with a 2010 MacBook Pro, even with Sierra 10.12.3. Fixed it by using a Mini DisplayPort (or Thunderbolt) to DisplayPort cable (e.g. http://a.co/6wswRO6 ) instead of Thunderbolt to HDMI.

8 replies

Oct 1, 2016 6:49 AM in response to bluvirtue

Hi bluvirtue,

Thanks for upgrading your Mac to OS Sierra. I understand that you've lost the ability to use the 2560 x 1080 resolution when connected via HDMI to your LG Ultrawide monitor. If you have not done so already, you can try to manually change the resolution in your display settings of your System's preferences.

Set the resolution for your primary display
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Displays, then click Display.
Select Scaled, then select one of the options.

macOS Sierra: Adjust your display’s resolution

If the 2560 x 1080 resolution is not available when you select the scaled option, you can try to perform the NVRAM reset.

What is NVRAM?
A small amount of your computer’s memory, called “non-volatile random-access memory” or NVRAM, stores certain settings in a location that OS X can access quickly. The settings that are stored in NVRAM depend on the type of Mac you're using, and the types of devices connected to it.
Information stored in NVRAM can include:
Speaker volume
Screen resolution
Startup disk selection
Recent kernel panic information, if any

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

This should have your display showing in the desired resolution of your choice. Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question.

Have a great day.

Sep 29, 2016 12:41 PM in response to JayB.

Hello,

I'm also running an LG Ultrawide on an HDMA cable and have the same problem. Since upgrading to Sierra, my Macbook Pro also no longer supports the native LG Ultrawide 2560 x 1080 resolution (it had worked just fine under El Capitan). The "standard" display setting reverts to 1080p and "scaled" setting does not support 2560 x 1080 either (only 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 1600x900). Further, the NVRAM reset did not correct the problem. Any other ideas or will this be corrected in the next Sierra update?

Thank you.

Sep 30, 2016 6:21 PM in response to dochaase

dochaase wrote:

Hello,

I'm also running an LG Ultrawide on an HDMA cable and have the same problem. Since upgrading to Sierra, my Macbook Pro also no longer supports the native LG Ultrawide 2560 x 1080 resolution (it had worked just fine under El Capitan). The "standard" display setting reverts to 1080p and "scaled" setting does not support 2560 x 1080 either (only 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 1600x900). Further, the NVRAM reset did not correct the problem. Any other ideas or will this be corrected in the next Sierra update?

Thank you.

Please file your own bug report. Do not depend on someone else's single report to be effective

BugReporter (Free ADC (Apple Developer Connection) account needed for BugReporter)

<http://bugreporter.apple.com>

Anyone can get a free ADC account at:

<https://developer.apple.com/register/index.action>

LG Ultrawide resolution problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.