Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This version of Server does not support upgrading the Server data on this volume

Hey Guys,

I have recently updated my server to ElCapitain and downloaded mac server from the App Store.

When i go to run Server, i get the following

Unable to set up Server - This version of Server does not support upgrading the Server data on this volume. To upgrade the Server data, you will need to install an older version of Server and OSX.

Is there any way i can override this and install server fresh?

Im stumped.

Cheers,

Posted on Sep 28, 2016 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 10:54 PM

Not sure why this is marked solved when it's not really solved.

Same situation: upgrading server from Yosemite to El Cap. Downloaded server 5.2, and I got the "This version of server does not support upgrading the server data on this volume."

Well now what do I do? I can't seem to find a previous version of Server (5.0.4). And of course why doesn't this version of server support upgrading the server data? Are version jumps unsupported? Where in the documentation does it say that?

Does Apple really expect me to blow away all my configuration because they're too lazy to write a data migrator? What a POS. If I knew this up front I wouldn't have bothered to move up.

What a disappointing POS.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2017 10:54 PM in response to chriszkicks

Not sure why this is marked solved when it's not really solved.

Same situation: upgrading server from Yosemite to El Cap. Downloaded server 5.2, and I got the "This version of server does not support upgrading the server data on this volume."

Well now what do I do? I can't seem to find a previous version of Server (5.0.4). And of course why doesn't this version of server support upgrading the server data? Are version jumps unsupported? Where in the documentation does it say that?

Does Apple really expect me to blow away all my configuration because they're too lazy to write a data migrator? What a POS. If I knew this up front I wouldn't have bothered to move up.

What a disappointing POS.

Dec 5, 2017 8:10 AM in response to chriszkicks

I upgraded a Yosemite Mac Pro with Server to High Sierra and ran into this. I wanted to just do a clean install of Server, so I was okay with deleting data directories. I was able to get a clean install by deleting /Library/Server, /Library/WebServer and /Library/DirectoryServices and rerunning Server. It prompts for the admin credentials and seems to go through a normal setup after that.

Oct 1, 2016 8:18 AM in response to Chris Goodwin

I don't understand?

If you have a full copy of your old server, you can use this backup.

If you don't have, you have to use your El Capitan server with the new settings. The old settings can't be upgraded like you told in your first question.

You wanted the possibility for a fresh server. I told you, how you can get this. You wrote, this worked fine. What do you want now?

This version of Server does not support upgrading the Server data on this volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.