Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad intermittent WiFi connection problem

Please excuse this long post, but I've been struggling with this "My iPad won't connect to the network intermittently for no discernible reason" problem ever since I updated to iOS 10. There are numerous complaints about this, all within the past couple of months, and none of the suggestions from Apple work for long.

I now have TWO iPad mini's and an iPhone 5S that intermittently refuse to connect to my home network. Each worked fine until I updated to iOS 10.0. I did so over WiFI. Now, intermittently, they each lose their connection to my home network, or to ANY other network. (I get that little icon that looks like a window washer, and when I click on the Information button it tells me that my network is not working. I tested this out at the Apple store in Fair Oaks Mall, Fairfax VA, and couldn't connect to their network, either.)

News flash: The WiFi network is just fine: I'm connecting using my desktop via Wifi to write this comment. None of the suggestions work for long.

On the suggestion of the Apple Store (I got the failed WiFi connection message THERE) I did a network reset, which worked briefly, then failed again when I came home. I did a reset all settings (after having backed up my unit) and started over by installing iOS 10.0.2 using Wifi and a cable connection to the computer (the original update was done via WiFi, because until this update, WiFi ALWAYS worked. This was a significant investment of time and effort on my part, and not one for novices to undertake lightly. It worked for a day or so, but the next morning, no Wifi. I tried shifting (on the suggestion in another thread) from NO HTTP to AUTO HTTP (I can't ever remember making a decision on this one way or the other.) No difference.

The other suggestion gets into the vague "update the firmware on your router." I have Cox, use a Cox router/modem, and am not able to do this, nor is there any update available for Cox to implement. I doubt it would make any difference, as I read that numerous users with other service providers are having the same problem.

There were, in my case, absolutely NO problems until the advent of IOS 10.

PLEASE FIX THIS. It is almost certainly a problem on your end.

The staff in the Apple store either weren't aware of this, or are under instructions to play dumb. I was not favorably impressed. Hello, Apple? You're starting to act like a certain politician I won't name: never wrong, nothing ever your fault, never apologize, and never offer a suggestion that works.

iPad Mini, iOS 10.0.2, WiFi Connectivity

Posted on Sep 29, 2016 4:39 AM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2016 8:18 AM in response to jgoldich

Ditto! I have iPhone 6 with the same issue. Bounces back and forth from Wifi to Cell Network (anywhere I go - home, work, etc). It is NOT a Wifi Router/Network issue.

After updating to 10, almost all of my data is gone for the month! I do not have Wifi Assist on and I only use Data when I can connect to Wifi.

Additionally, while connecting to a wifi network at work, the iPhone settings asks for the password to the network - I type it in and iPhone tells me that it is the incorrect password, but then it connects. Then it disconnects after 2 minutes.

I too have tried Wifi Setting reset. Help!

Oct 3, 2016 12:00 PM in response to jgoldich

Try this and see if it works. I had the same problem and it fixes it for me till they put out a fix in a new update. Turn on Airplane mode and then turn your WiFi back on and connect to it. It should now stay on. Note that you should leave on Airplane mode with Wi-Fi on, otherwise you will again lose connection to your Wi-Fi again. Hope this helps.

Oct 5, 2016 6:07 AM in response to Wanderoldies

I will give this a try. I Lost the connection last night, and resorted to the "reboot the unit and wait" method. I've mplemented your suggestion, but will have to wait and see if it eorkd.

IF you are correct, this will solve the problem for WiFi only iPads. However, in a way if this is the cure, then the problem makes no sense. I always thought the entire purpose of Airplane Mode was to prevent you from accidentally connecting. Also, I'm sure there are implications for iPhone users, as in it kills the unit as a phone.

Oct 8, 2016 5:26 AM in response to jgoldich

Update as of 10/8/2016: Sadly, Wanderoldies excellent suggestion only worked for two days. I think he is onto something about the relationship between having airplane mode turned on/vanishing WiFi connections, but the cure is likely beyond anything we can do at the user level to really fix it.

On a personal level, this would be a smidge less annoying (but only a smidge) if Apple didn't snidely insist it was our routers that were the problem.

iPad intermittent WiFi connection problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.