Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Sierra Mail sent attachments lost

I upgraded to macOS Sierra when launched and all seemed well, however I have noticed strange behaviour with Mail.

I have an iCloud account and use iCloud for large files.

Once I have sent mail, I move mail (with attachment) to a mailbox on my Mac, so it is backed up and allows offline access.

Since Sierra though, once moved from iCloud inbox to the mailbox on my Mac, the attachment is lost from the e-mail and also my mail signature, which uses particular types of font, becomes unformatted text and links are followed by <http://www________com/> website and <mailto:________@____.com> for e-mail.

The attachment can be found with a spotlight search of Library > Mail.

Without attachment there is no issue and it only seems to affect mail with attachments of say 2Mb+, though doesn't seem to affect mail with 20Mb+ attachments.

There seems to be no issue with received mail.

The same happens when in Safe Mode.

Anybody experiencing similar issues

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 15 in 2.2 GHz 4GB 120 SSD HD

Posted on Sep 29, 2016 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2016 2:05 AM

Interestingly, if I send an e-mail with attachment from my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, then on iMac running Sierra, move the e-mail from iCloud Sent folder to On My Mac Sent folder, all is well, that is text formatting and links retained in signature and attachment is there and readable.

Both iMac and MBP use same account details only difference being Sierra on iMac and El Capitan on MBP.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2016 2:05 AM in response to macrobin

Interestingly, if I send an e-mail with attachment from my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, then on iMac running Sierra, move the e-mail from iCloud Sent folder to On My Mac Sent folder, all is well, that is text formatting and links retained in signature and attachment is there and readable.

Both iMac and MBP use same account details only difference being Sierra on iMac and El Capitan on MBP.

Oct 2, 2016 3:51 AM in response to macrobin

~ macrobin:

What you've described is exactly the same issue I've experienced.

I've used a series of Apple operating systems for well over 20 years, but this is the first time this has occurred.

I'm using Sierra on both a 27-inch iMac and on a MacBook Pro. The “lost attachment issue” has happened on the iMac.

To say the least, it's inconvenient. As of yet, no solutions have presented themselves.

Thank you for posting your comments.

Tom K.

macOS Sierra Mail sent attachments lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.