Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic trackpad 2 only works when plugged in

I have a magic trackpad 2 that is about two months old. I have kept it plugged in to my wired keyboard's USB hub since I got it, on a rare occasion unplugging it to use the cable to charge my phone. Today I tried doing that and when I do so it stops working. I see it in Bluetooth devices but connecting to it fails. When plugged in it works fine and shows as connected and full charged.

I find it hard to believe its defective, but maybe. Has anyone else experienced this? Any fix?

Posted on Sep 29, 2016 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 3:27 AM

This one works!

-First connect your magic keyboard/trackpad with your mac using a lightning cable(in case if it was not already)

-Turn off your bluetooth from system preferences( you will have to use a wired mouse if you are doing it in a imac or mac mini)

-toggle the keyboard/trackpad power to "off"

-disconnect the lightning cable

-Now turn on bluetooth from system preferences

-Then, toggle the keyboard/trackpad power to "on"

-It will connect and work without any issues

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2017 3:27 AM in response to geekraver

This one works!

-First connect your magic keyboard/trackpad with your mac using a lightning cable(in case if it was not already)

-Turn off your bluetooth from system preferences( you will have to use a wired mouse if you are doing it in a imac or mac mini)

-toggle the keyboard/trackpad power to "off"

-disconnect the lightning cable

-Now turn on bluetooth from system preferences

-Then, toggle the keyboard/trackpad power to "on"

-It will connect and work without any issues

Oct 9, 2016 4:27 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I am fully aware of this. I was just saying that I had kept it plugged in rather than running off batteries, and now it seems to have a problem. I can go through the bluetooth pairing and it all appears to work, but the moment I disconnect the lightning cable it stops working.

I.e. when plugged in it shows up as a *connected Bluetooth device*. When unplugged it disappears from the bluetooth devices.

Dec 18, 2017 12:23 PM in response to birla

Hi thanks but unfortunately this hasn't worked for me. I have a Magic Trackpad 2, using an iMac 27" c/w Sierra 10.12.6 and have tried everything to get this trackpad to work. Had had 3 calls with Apple so far to turn this off, ditch preference files, do a fresh installation of the OS etc etc without success. Their last solution was to do a complete reformat of the hard drive and installation of everything. Now call me cynical, but with all the hassle I had to re-install all my legacy programmes (e.g. Adobe CS3) that is not going to happen.

Therefore someone out there must have a solution please...

My issue is as follows:

1. The trackpad DOES work when connected via Bluetooth but only as a conventional mouse, i.e. I cannot use any of the gestures.

2. When it's connected with the Lightning cable, everything is fine - I can use the gestures.

So can someone please advise!

Many thanks.

Feb 2, 2017 6:03 PM in response to geekraver

I had the same issue but found that the Bluetooth in the iMac wasn't functioning properly. I followed this Apple Support article "If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad aren't working as expected - Apple Support" and found that whenever I tried turning off the Bluetooth it would remain in the On position regardless.

I restarted the iMac, went to System Preferences, clicked on the Bluetooth icon, and found that it was in the Off position. I turned it back On, disconnected the lightning cable, and the Magic Trackpad 2 reestablished the Bluetooth connection and started working again.

Don't know if you've already solved your issue but figured I would share my fix.

Hope this helps.

May 15, 2017 11:08 AM in response to QuietMacFan

This comment ultimately provided a solution for me. My MBP has a faulty built-in trackpad, and I've been trying to use the external magic trackpad 2 as a substitute. I was experiencing this issue of the MT2 initially working well over bluetooth, but after a few days, only working when wired via a USB-lightning cable.

@QuietMacFan's comment was to try a "powering on" of the trackpad to initiate a reconnection. To do this, I did the following:

1. With the wired MT2, I hovered the cursor over the BT icon in the menu bar, and clicked to turn off BT.
  2. I turned off the trackpad and disconnected the wire.
  3. My built-in trackpad does not work well, but still does register a signal; it was quivering and occasionally clicking. I have only partial control over it. I clicked again on the BT icon to access the menu, then quickly used cursor keys on the keyboard to scroll down and turn on BT by pressing Return.
  4. With BT on, I then turned on the switch on the MT2, and it immediately registered as connected, wirelessly via BT.

If you're in this situation, it's important to check the Accessibility settings, to insure that the built-in trackpad turns off when the external MT2 is attached.

Feb 14, 2017 8:28 AM in response to geekraver

I have seen this rarely on both bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Usually charging or what else has no bad effects.

For mouse, just plug and unplug lightning wire likely revives it.

For keyboard it seems at first it only works when lightning wire is plugged in, not when removed. Rebooting doesn't help.

ANSWER: there's a little power switch on each having green and red to indicate position. Just turn the device off for a few seconds, turn it back on, keyboard automatically detects

Why? Devices are detected when powered on. If for some reason the bluetooth gets (out of range, say blocked by a book or hand) it will not re-detect until a "powering on" is happening.

Dec 25, 2017 10:58 AM in response to birla

Thank you. This was very helpful but did not work. After trying what you did (and it didn't solve it), I added the following steps, and it worked.

-- Unplug the device from the USB/Lightening cable

-- System Preferences > Bluetooth > [Select Device] > [Right Click] > Disconnect

-- Power off the device / Wait 5 seconds / power it back on

-- System Preferences > Bluetooth > [Select new device] > Pair

This worked for me. I hope it helps everyone else.

Wilx

Feb 6, 2018 6:28 PM in response to geekraver

I've had a problem where my trackpad 2 loses it's connection for a second and then reconnects, and then goes dead about three seconds later, over and over. Found out that connecting the lightning cord resolved the issue. But of course I want a wireless trackpad, so tried a few suggestions below, none worked.

Then I had the idea of turning the Trackpad on and then off again. While still connected to lightning, I turned the trackpad off (via the switch on the back). Waited a few seconds and turned it back on.

Disconnected the lightning cable and so far (for the past 30 mins) - no problems. Will report back if this problem returns - but for now, it's fixed.

Magic trackpad 2 only works when plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.