Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV - App will not delete

I had an issue with the MLB app not starting up. I tried to restart my Apple TV but that did not correct the issue so I decided to remove the app and reinstall it. The app, it appears, was only partially removed because the icon for the app disappeared but the app is still there (see image). I have tried deleting the app several more times. I have unplugged my Apple TV but it will not delete so I can reinstall it. Is there anyway to remove the app without totally resetting the device? I have a 4th generation device with the latest version of tvOS (I thought I would see if updating the OS would help but it says I have the latest version of the OS).

User uploaded file

Apple TV, tvOS 10

Posted on Sep 29, 2016 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2016 4:40 PM

There are 2 methods of deleting an app.

Select the app on the main screen and press and hold the touchpad until the app icon wobbles. Press the play/pause button and choose delete from the menu that appears.

Navigate to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage, scroll and select the the trash can to the right of the problematic app and choose delete from the menu that appears.

I’m not really sure if there is any difference between the two methods but there have been some suggestions that the wobble method has resulted in some app data being left behind and ultimately causing an issue when the app is re-installed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2016 4:40 PM in response to hoffmanjon

There are 2 methods of deleting an app.

Select the app on the main screen and press and hold the touchpad until the app icon wobbles. Press the play/pause button and choose delete from the menu that appears.

Navigate to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage, scroll and select the the trash can to the right of the problematic app and choose delete from the menu that appears.

I’m not really sure if there is any difference between the two methods but there have been some suggestions that the wobble method has resulted in some app data being left behind and ultimately causing an issue when the app is re-installed.

Apple TV - App will not delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.