Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSStatus Error 5 when trying to connect to time machine

I got a message saying my MackBook Air had not backed up for 90 days. The computer has been backing up regularly so I do not understand why I got this message. When I tried to connect to Time Machine I get the message "OSStatus error 5. Also the backlighting on the keyboard has started going on and off?

Posted on Sep 30, 2016 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2017 1:26 PM

I had the same error when trying to backup a MacBook Pro to my Time Capsule. Contacted an Apple Tech. The problem turned out to be unexpected but simple. Open System Preferences, and then click on the Sharing icon. When the Sharing icon is open, make sure the File Sharing option is checked. If it is not, then do so. Ended up solving my problem.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2017 1:26 PM in response to jguzewich

I had the same error when trying to backup a MacBook Pro to my Time Capsule. Contacted an Apple Tech. The problem turned out to be unexpected but simple. Open System Preferences, and then click on the Sharing icon. When the Sharing icon is open, make sure the File Sharing option is checked. If it is not, then do so. Ended up solving my problem.

Dec 22, 2017 11:19 AM in response to citipunk

Actually the TC is simple to access.

There are three levels of reset. None of which, btw, will delete your data.

The first level, soft reset.. you just touch the reset button for between 1-2sec.. don't hold in longer or it will go to hard reset.

All passwords are returned to default for 5min. You can then access the TC and use show password function.

No other router in existence has a show passwords .. for all and sundry to see.. so there is no need to worry.. Apple has made it easy for you.

User uploaded file

Dec 22, 2017 2:03 PM in response to citipunk

I bought this device 2-3 year ago, if i not recalled that password then what? Deleting all data?

No, you can always reset the password(s) if needed and this will have no effect at all on your backup data. See the information about a Soft Reset in this Apple Support document:

How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Support

Sep 30, 2016 1:52 PM in response to jguzewich

The backlight on the keyboard is probably unrelated.. other than perhaps you need to start thinking about a new computer.

The error is network issue. Did you upgrade the OS on the MBA? What OS is it running?

The computer can do local backups to the hard disk when no network connection is available. So it can seem to continue to do backups but is really landing the backups on the internal disk.

I recommend you do a backup now to a USB drive plugged directly into your MBA.. that will make sure you at least have a backup if things go wrong.

What to do with the Time Capsule then depends on OS and age of the TC. How old is it?

OSStatus Error 5 when trying to connect to time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.