Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to Sierra, Mac prompts for a password twice

Hello. I've updated the MacBook to Sierra. Previously, it was set El Capitan. During Sierra settings, the system said that I can not use a previous password as it coincides with the password iCLoud. I changed password to a new one. Now when I turn on the MacBook I have to enter the password twice. First, the system asks me my previous password, which stood on El Capitan previously.

User uploaded file

Then the system asks me a new password that is on the Sierra.

User uploaded file

Tell me what to do? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 30, 2016 6:00 AM

16 replies

Feb 27, 2017 6:43 PM in response to Alex Ander

I had the same problem after upgrading to Sierra, and I found the solution here: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/159961/change-osx-encryption-filevault- password-to-match-login-pass

if you change password via

Settings > Users & Groups > Change Password ...

you will be prompted twice, once for the File Vault original password and again for the new account password. However if you change the password via

Settings > Security & Privacy > Change Password ...

both will be updated, noting that you will be required to enter the account password not the File Vault original password, so you can reset the File Vault password by entering your new password three times.

This worked for me, and now I don't have to enter two passwords when I restart.

May 17, 2017 11:53 AM in response to sterling r

Hi Apple Support Community,

The double login prompts never occurred in El Capitan, why has this resurfaced in Sierra? Is this a deliberate function that had broken in El Capitan? The initial Sierra build was also not presenting the double logins with Filevault enabled. This only started happening since mid-April.

Filevault is a must for our business, however the double login prompts are causing our highest executives to want to move from their Macbooks back to Windows machines. Disabling Filevault is not a solution, nor is automatic login as these create security vulnerabilities.

The workarounds have only partially resolved the issue. Now we've got it down to only double prompting if the laptop wakes from sleep.

After encryption completes, setting the password for the local Administrator account under Security & Privacy > General Tab > Change password seems to have fixed the issue when initially logging in, but if the Macbook hibernates/sleeps the user is prompted for their password twice when logging back into the laptop.

Please let me know what data I can provide to help truly resolve this issue?

Oct 1, 2016 9:51 AM in response to Alex Ander

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Alex Ander!

It looks like you're being prompted to enter in your user account login information twice after powering up your Mac. I know it's not ideal to have to enter in the same login information more than once, each time you start your computer. I'm happy to help you get this sorted out.

The reason you're seeing two login screens is because of FileVault. When FileVault is enabled, you're first prompted to enter in your login information to unlock the disk at the EFI Login Window, and then you're prompted to enter in your login information again to go into your actual user account.

An easy way to get around this is to enable automatic login for FileVault. You can find the steps on how to do that here: OS X: How to disable automatic login when FileVault is enabled

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Oct 3, 2016 3:23 AM in response to tessavermeulen

File Vault is not an application. It is a security feature that encrypts the contents of your drive.

I stay away from it, because for me the risk of losing access to my data is greater than the risk of someone else getting it. If that is your case, you should turn if off. Only you can make that call, of course.

Before you do anything: you do have a full backup of your system, don't you?

File Vault is turned on or off in System Preferences->Security & Privacy->File Vault

Note that decrypting or encrypting a full drive may take a long time, and your system may become slow while this is taking place.

Dec 1, 2016 10:06 AM in response to alespa-d3v

Turning off file vault fixed it for me (after also changing settings in Security & Privacy/General/uncheck "require password" and also in Users & Groups/Login Options/make sure your name is in the Automatic Login (you may need to click the lock and enter a password to make changes). This was driving me crazy, but doing those three things finally fixed the problem for me. (You may need to restart once before the changes take effect.)

After updating to Sierra, Mac prompts for a password twice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.