Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra - Menu Bar - Beachballing with frozen time

Since Sierra on 2 MacBooks that I have I occasionally noticed that the time on the menu bar is not updating and if I put my mouse over the menu bar it is beachballing. A restart of the MacBook fixes the issue ... until the next time.

Anyone else seeing this?

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 30, 2016 5:54 AM

14 replies

Jan 28, 2017 1:47 PM in response to rbirch

I hadn't seen it until today on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) running 10.12.3.

I agree that it's not likely a clock issue. The suggestions from Tygb and recommended by Apple clearly weren't relevant, as my settings were as described there.

Finding the hung process was key. If it recurs for me, I'm going after the SystemUIServer.plist, as cemyam suggested.

Oct 24, 2016 9:09 AM in response to shuntera

Please try some methods hope so it might help you , run the system in safe mode some system caches will be rebuilt .

Go to system preferences > date and time > make sure set date and time is checked in front of it choose drop down arrows choose as your correct location .

In time zone : make sure set time zone automatically using correct location is checked , on the bottom end correct country and closest city must be correct ,whenever you click in time zone a red arrow just comes + a blue dot is always there .

If, the settings are not correct go to language & region verify the settings in your system as :

User uploaded file

Click on advanced : click on restore defaults

If, this not works : click on go to go folder & type /Library see folder preferences right click on com.apple.timezone.auto.plist and move to desktop , please don't delete to trash .

Restart the system . monitor the machine if everything goes fine then delete the plist to trash , restart again & empty the trash .

Oct 29, 2016 10:20 AM in response to rbirch

Just adding to the chorus - same issue with built-in items on menubar freezing and 3rd party items being fine. Force quitting SystemUIServer in Activity Monitor seems to resolve it.

I've seen it twice since upgrading to Sierra. First time, I rebooted and it was fine.

This time, I did the SystemUIServer thing. More interesting, the time was stuck at 7:59pm when I opened my Macbook Pro this morning (around 11am). Last night at 7:59pm, the machine was closed and "asleep" on the AC charger (I know it wakes to do various things like Time Machine, etc). Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15" i7 / 16GB / NVidia GT 750M, fully updated Sierra.

Dec 2, 2016 6:21 AM in response to shuntera

Last week got my brand new high end 15" Mac Book Pro with touch bar. This morning I sign into my new Mac Book Pro and the SystemUI server is not responding.😠

This does not at all seem to be a clock issue, because the system clock is not displayed on either of my Mac Book Pros. So not only does this happen on my old Mid 2012 15" Mac Book Pro Retina but it also occurs on my brand new Mac.

Dec 16, 2016 10:41 AM in response to shuntera

APPLE - PLEASE RESPOND to this thread.

This SystemUIServer issue has been present for YEARS and NEVER a response seen from APPLE.

It is a RECURRENT and ANNOYING issue that deserves attention. The SystemUIServer CRASHES/HANGS causing all Apple Menu items to hang/spinning beachball when cursor overhead each Apple Menu item.

Apple, PLEASE FIX THIS NOW.... Thanks and Merry Christmas to ALL!!!

Sierra - Menu Bar - Beachballing with frozen time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.