Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't seem to make boot disk for Sierra

I am not able to make a usb boot install disk for MacOS Sierra. Ultimately I am trying to install MacOS Sierra on a brand new SSD.

I have tried these directions

http://www.macworld.com/article/3092900/macs/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-sier ra-installer-drive.html

AND many other variations of this article

... BUT when i do the
"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app"

... Nothing happens ... Im asked for my password but thats it ... the terminal never gives any indication that something is happening ... tried 2 different usb disks ... one 8gb the other 32 gb.... done the disk utility erase thing to death... i named the usb volume correctly ... gave the "sudo..." command lots of time to complete on many different tries ... but i get no indication that anything has happened even when i exam the usb drive file system.

NOTE: i don't get an error ... just nothing happens.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.5 that is on a 17" mac book pro mid 2010. I have 16GB of ram.

NOTE: I tried to download Mac OSX Maverick and El Captain but apple(the apple store) will not let me no matter what i try ... was hoping to see if making the boot install usb drive would work for these older versions of Mac OSX.

~VIN,MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 30, 2016 11:50 AM

15 replies

Apr 1, 2017 4:51 PM in response to kelleygreenapple

I had the same exact problem, I also tried another utility Install Disk Creator that did nothing also. I had osX 10.7.5 as well. I saved the install mac os sierra install file (about 4.5GB) off to a flash drive since it deletes after running the update. After saving it, I went ahead and ran the installer to upgrade to Sierra. After the update, I was able to run the command in Terminal to create the bootable USB, so it must be an issue with the older osx versions.

Oct 1, 2016 11:04 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Thanks dianeoforegon for you help!

I did read the post by Dan Frakes and tried to make a usb boot drive again (and again) and waited for more than 30 mins after i ran the "sudo ..." command (after i put in my password) and absolutely no massages are displayed by terminal.

Here is a copy of my terminal

~ > date

Sat Oct 1 13:08:26 EDT 2016

~ > sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Password:

~ > date

Sat Oct 1 14:00:46 EDT 2016

I just don't know what to try next.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2016 7:23 PM in response to dianeoforegon

I Have used 2 different usb drives... An 8gb one and a 32gb one. I'm only using the usb drives as a means to get sierra on a new ssd drive I just bought... All the directions I've found use the usb drive and as I had two of them that is what I tried to use. I don't know what you mean when you say clone... but I prefer to always save the old drive as is and install a fresh clean os on a fresh new hard drive... I'm newish to the Mac world and have always used windows before and this way of doing thing is a real good way to handle the windows enviorment.

Oct 1, 2016 7:48 PM in response to kelleygreenapple

Well that would be one awkward way. But, unless your plan is to throw away your old drive, a better plan would be to buy an USB enclosure for your old drive. Install the new drive into your Mac, then boot it from your old drive, now in an external enclosure. Afterwards, you can either install Sierra on your new internal drive or clone whatever is on your old drive to the new drive.

Nov 28, 2016 7:46 AM in response to Lanny

If my mac is running 10.7.5, it simply means I didn't bother upgrading and doesn't reflect the ability to upgrade to Sierra. I didn't say I couldn't install Sierra, I reiterated the same problem that the initial poster stated. I wanted to create a USB Installer so that I could do a clean erase of my HD and start with clean system. The terminal syntax wasn't working correctly and was curious since someone else had a similar problem.

can't seem to make boot disk for Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.