Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the expected behaviour of "minimize windows into application icon"?

I've been using this feature for a while, since I noticed it had been introduced. The behaviour has always been inconsistent (from my perspective) and I thought this might be fixed in Sierra but it it appears not - so I wonder if I just don't understand what it's supposed to do.

User uploaded file

With this box checked - most applications minimize into the icon on the dock and then when I click on the icon in the dock, their window pops up. However, this doesn't work for all applications. For example - just now I tested it with System Preferences (works) and Activity Monitor (doesn't work).

To get the window to open or appear in Activity Monitor, I have to right click and choose the window from the list on the dock.

User uploaded file

Is this how it's supposed to work for some applications for some reason? Why is the behaviour inconsistent? Or am I misunderstanding something about this feature?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 30, 2016 1:26 PM

5 replies

Sep 30, 2016 2:09 PM in response to DanielJackson

With this box checked - most applications minimize into the icon on the dock and then when I click on the icon in the dock, their window pops up.

That's correct. Conversely, when the option is de-selected the open window should "minimize" to its own icon in the Dock.

I confirmed that behavior with System Preferences, and it works as you described. However, whereas Activity Monitor will minimize to its own app icon in the Dock, clicking that icon will not restore its previously opened window. Although Activity Monitor becomes the frontmost app, you have to then select Window > Activity Monitor for it to appear.

I can only surmise that's a bug in Sierra, and it probably existed in previous OS X versions. I doubt that's the way it's supposed to work.

I didn't bother checking other programs.

Tell Apple: http://apple.com/feedback/

What is the expected behaviour of "minimize windows into application icon"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.