Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound when using headphones? iPhone 7 7

Ive recently upgraded to an iPhone 7 with latest updates installed and have clear wonderful audio when using the phones speakers, but as soon as any headphones are plugged in, theres nothing, or so faint its pointless. Headphone volume is full blast and phone recognises they are there, and was today told it might be an issue in my iTunes account - where are the settings in iTunes to investigate and does anyone know of a way to fix the inaudibility??? Help greatly appreciated!

iPhone 7, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2016 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 6:00 PM

My iPhone5s also have this problem and I've got a workaround.

When the headphone is plugged in and no sound,

1. dial a number, ex, ISP's free custom service number.

2. detach the headphone.

2. trun on the speaker mode.

3. adjust volume by press physical volume button (up or down).

4. plug in the headphone.

5. adjust volume again.

6. the volume adjust interface will not be shown.

7. wait for a few seconds for sound appearing.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2017 6:00 PM in response to larns82

My iPhone5s also have this problem and I've got a workaround.

When the headphone is plugged in and no sound,

1. dial a number, ex, ISP's free custom service number.

2. detach the headphone.

2. trun on the speaker mode.

3. adjust volume by press physical volume button (up or down).

4. plug in the headphone.

5. adjust volume again.

6. the volume adjust interface will not be shown.

7. wait for a few seconds for sound appearing.

Oct 2, 2016 10:32 AM in response to larns82

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Iarns82.

If I’m understanding your post right, when using headphones with your new iPhone 7, there is either no sound or the sound is very faint. I use headphones with my own iPhone pretty much daily, so I can certainly understand how important it is to get the best sound possible when doing so. I'm very happy to help you out with this.

The first thing I recommend doing is trying the sound with a different pair of headphones. This will help in determining if there is an issue with your headphones, or if the problems is with the iPhone itself. If the same sound issue occurs with a second pair of headphones, let’s check out some settings in your phone:

1. Open your Settings app.
  2. Select Music.
  3. Enable Sound Check. When enabled, your iPhone will detect when music you're playing naturally has low volumes and it will adjust accordingly.
  4. Check to see if Volume Limit is on. If it is, slide the slider all the way to the right to turn it off.
Next, test out your sound using your headphones. If the issue persists, follow the steps in If your headphones don‘t work with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch , specifically this section:

Check for debris, damage, or loose connections

1. Check for debris in the headphone port on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
  2. Check your headphone cable, connector, remote, and earbuds for damage, like wear or breakage.
  3. Look for debris on the meshes in each earbud. To remove debris, gently brush all openings with a small, soft-bristled brush that's clean and dry.
  4. Firmly plug your headphones back in. If your iOS device has a case, remove the case to get a firm connection.

After you have gone through those steps, test out your headphones again.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

No sound when using headphones? iPhone 7 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.