Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Octoshape Infinite HD?

Hello,

First off, thank you for any and/or all replies helpful or not,

I can't find any recent info here about Octoshape/InfinateHD. I recently rejuvenated my old MacBook (late 2009, white) for my Hubby who is new to Mac/Apple. While I was perusing through old files (the laptop was running so slow, I was having a hard time doing anything without having to walk away and wait for process to load, troubleshooted my way through the muck), I stumbled upon 1 file I found out was spyware/adware/malicious/trojan : genieoinnovations. I have no clue when this got installed or what it tagged along with. My day of downloading 3rd party software are long over by the way. Love my MacBookPro to death. I never found anything else that looked suspicious but I decided to erase the disk and do a clean reinstall in the end. Glad I did, MacBook runs sound now, happy, fresh as a wee newborn babe.*

*[Only after about 24 hours of fighting the installation, recovery mode, user prefs being glitchy/broken etc, visited these communities many times to diagnose one problem after the other.]

This prompted me to stroll through my own laptops' library (background: I don't/won't delete things I am unsure of, learned my lesson years ago, and I know better than to start moving things to and fro) looking and not touching files.

I found one that I haven't heard of and it's come from a trusted source, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with it.

The path is HD/Users/me/Library/Octoshape/Infiniate HD.

My apologies but all I want to know in the end is it something I should treat as malicious and get rid of it?

(I know how to deep search for tidbits of names things that might get left-over...logmein was the worst, macpaw, growl...What was I thinking??!! UGH.)

QUESTION/S:

Item in Question : Octoshape-Infinite HD

1) What is it/What does it do/What does it control/what is it good for?

2) Is it relevant to me since I don't use Chrome past/present/future?

3) Any speculations of where might it have come from?

4) Is it malware/adware/spyware/virus/trojan?

Thank you again,

D.D.

MacBook Pro, Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014

2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris 1536 MB

Running OS X El Capitan, v 10.11.4

(I am not doing an update yet)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 1, 2016 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2016 9:21 PM

1. A Quick google search revealed this:

About the technology

The Octoshape Infinite HD Application is a streaming media accelerator that optimizes the transport of video through the Internet. It is built to increase the quality and stability of video over the Internet to create TV quality experiences for content distributed via the Internet. The Infinite HD application also provides significant advantages to Broadband Internet providers by enabling a suite of Multicast technologies that reduce the amount of video traffic over the Internet. Multicast is the same technology used to deliver your TV channels today, so it is a proven and efficient method for video distribution.

http://www.octoshape.com/support/infinite-hd-octoshape-app/

2. Doesn't appear to be related specifically to Chrome at all.

3. you must have intalled it at some point as per the website

4. Doesn't look like it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2016 9:21 PM in response to DanaeFD

1. A Quick google search revealed this:

About the technology

The Octoshape Infinite HD Application is a streaming media accelerator that optimizes the transport of video through the Internet. It is built to increase the quality and stability of video over the Internet to create TV quality experiences for content distributed via the Internet. The Infinite HD application also provides significant advantages to Broadband Internet providers by enabling a suite of Multicast technologies that reduce the amount of video traffic over the Internet. Multicast is the same technology used to deliver your TV channels today, so it is a proven and efficient method for video distribution.

http://www.octoshape.com/support/infinite-hd-octoshape-app/

2. Doesn't appear to be related specifically to Chrome at all.

3. you must have intalled it at some point as per the website

4. Doesn't look like it.

Oct 1, 2016 9:27 PM in response to Phil0124

I've gotten mixed posts on this thing. This one, although old, says:

"‘Octoshape aware’ can detect it on your system and activate it for their own purposes without your knowledge."

"....a social engineering scam, actually. Millions of users who signed up for the live streaming feed of U.S. President Barach Obama’s inauguration last month were told they couldn’t get hooked in unless they first installed something called ‘the Octoshape Grid Delivery enhancement’ for their Flash Player. Among other things, the ‘enhancement’ turns subscribers’ computers into relay stations, making them part of a grid to, “deliver parts of the video and audio stream to other end users of the Software,” as the Octoshape end user agreement clearly states. Octoshape Grid Delivery is a peer-to-peer application that, in effect, uses the subscriber’s computer and Internet connection to create an ad-hoc distribution network for CNN. CNN and independent security researchers confirm that the octoshape ‘enhancement’ is still being installed the first time a fan views any streaming CNN program feed. Non-streaming (pre-recorded) CNN video clips do not require installation of Octoshape. Critics of CNN’s Octoshape gambit say CNN indulged in deceptive marketing to get end users to become part of their network. They also note that CNN downloaded the cost of distributing its streaming feeds to end users and ISP without asking their permission or expressly informing them."

What is Octoshape Infinite HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.