You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where is the "hash" key on my keyboard

where is the hash tag sign on my key board... pretty please

Posted on Oct 2, 2016 3:33 AM

6 replies

Oct 2, 2016 7:30 AM in response to Debster1965

We need much more information to give you specific help.

Quoted from  Apple's "How to write a good question"

To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.

• Include your product (device) name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
  • Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "OS X 10.4.11" or "Safari 4.1.3".
  • Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
  • List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.

For a detailed "coaching", please see the User Tips Help us to help you on these forums and Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

Oct 3, 2016 12:51 PM in response to Don Archibald

Hi Don

have a MAC OS X Yosemite . I cannot find the "Hash" or number character key unless I use control, command and space bar then it a box comes up with a number of emoji or symbol signs equally from the Edit option on top bar... but nowhere visible on the keyboard. keyboard is set english option shift 3 is £ sign Finally found my little character in the option of keyboard preferences /show character viewer..... phew a helpful little symbol when needing it more as a HASH symbol #

thank you so much it was reading through your guide that I found it.. (wish it was on the keyboard itself)

kind regards

Debbie

Oct 2, 2016 12:17 PM in response to Debster1965

The hash tag, meaning the # symbol, is also known variously as the pound sign and the number symbol.

For Mac computers -

In U.S. English and some other keyboard layouts it is located at Shift-3 (that's the 3 in the top row, not the keypad).

In the British English keyboard layout it is located at Option 3 (again, top row 3, not keypad).

Other languages use other keyboard layouts. You can determine which layout yours is set to by checking to see what is checkmarked in the Keyboard menu, and the precise location of the # character by using the Keyboad Viewer, which is accessible via the Keyboard menu.

Oct 2, 2016 2:46 PM in response to Debster1965

Debster1965 wrote:

where is the hash tag sign on my key board... pretty please

If you don't find it at Shift 3 (US) or Option/Alt 3 (British), it should be over at the right edge on the \ key (British PC).

To make what you type match what is printed on your keyboard, go to system preferences/keyboard/input sources and make sure that only the one of those 3 which fits right is on the list.

Oct 3, 2016 1:49 PM in response to Debster1965

Debster1965 wrote:

option shift 3 is £ sign

I think you have this mixed up. # should certainly be on your keyboard, no need to use Character Viewer.

If Option 3 is the £ sign, then Shift 3 is the # sign.

If Shift 3 is the £ sign, then Option 3 is the # sign, or # is on the \ key over at the right edge.

(Option Shift 3 should never give you either of them)

where is the "hash" key on my keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.