Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not allowing me to change Album Artwork on individual ALAC tracks

Hello,

I have just noticed that iTunes appears to have changed the artwork on some CD's that I had ripped to ALAC. The artwork is not correct, but if I go and try to change the individual artwork (by going to get info>artwork>deleting the current artwork on the track>moving to the next track>then move back to the track>paste or add the correct art work> hit OK. I then go back to the track (get info> artwork) and the old artwork is still there.

I use iTunes 12.5.1.21 on a windows 10 laptop. I use iCloud and ITunes Match and Apple Music.

Hopefully someonecan give me a solution to fixing this.

Posted on Oct 2, 2016 12:19 PM

11 replies

Oct 2, 2016 4:52 PM in response to mm13

I go and try to change the individual artwork (by going to get info>artwork>deleting the current artwork on the track>moving to the next track>then move back to the track>paste or add the correct art work> hit OK. I then go back to the track (get info> artwork) and the old artwork is still there.

MM13 - If you add the new artwork right after deleting the old, does it stick?

Oct 4, 2016 11:33 PM in response to turingtest2

Unfortunately I checked again this evening and it has NOT worked.

VEry annoying. I just tried in a basic MP3 file too and it hasn't worked On that file either. I have however managed to change an album that was listed as a compilation' to be an ordinary item.

so that means it must be either iTunes or windows?

My iTunes is set up on a laptop but my music files are on a server? I repermission the iTunes folder on the laptop - (which as I understand it, is where the link to the album art is maintained)? I don't think I need to do anything with the server drive as it looks like it is writing data to the file (my eg on compilation above) .

MM

Oct 5, 2016 1:04 AM in response to mm13

Art downloaded automatically from the iTunes store goes into the Album Artwork cache. When you manually add artwork to a track it will be embedded in the tag of the file. If iTunes cannot update the file then the edit won't take. I suspect that iTunes may use different security credentials for some file operations which might be why the edit to the compilation flag has taken but the artwork hasn't. The permissions fix should be applied to both the folders where the media is stored as well the library files if they are in a separate location. That said I'm not sure that it is possible to add SYSTEM to a remote share. You might need to check permissions carefully from the server end to make sure that your user account really does have full control over the folder in question and that nothing is marked as read-only.

tt2

Oct 5, 2016 7:56 AM in response to turingtest2

I've got the same problem (Itunes 12.5.1.21 / W10 edu + anniversary update / iMatch). Only my files are located on the local HD, with correct permissions.

What I've noticed:

For a full album: Delete download => Change image => Download again mostly does the trick.

For complications: Not going to work for separate images. I just created a album for each song so the correct image can be applied...

The last one is very annoying but when playing them on my phone I want to see a nice picture and not always the same incorrect picture.

And last but not least, when a view looks fine and you restart itunes (After updating iCloud library) , after a few moments all could be turned back and I've to start over again on some of the changed numbers. And yes automatic download of images is turned of. All downloaded album-art is deleted.

Oct 5, 2016 1:50 PM in response to turingtest2

HI tt2,

just tried it all again...(windows 10 permission setting are laid out differently to what you had indicated) , I did everything That I think got me to the same position but alas even Though I initially thought it had actually worked i went back to it and it hasn't.

very frustrating - can't work out if it was the windows 10 annual update of iTunes update that has screwed this up.

I Never had any problems doing album cover art updates either upgrade

Oct 9, 2016 12:18 AM in response to mm13

HI tt2,

so I tried again and this time I looked more closely at server drive where my music is stored - I then removed the read only restriction and it now seems to work... (even though when I go back to that drive it still says some files/folders are read only...)... thanks for your help...

iTunes not allowing me to change Album Artwork on individual ALAC tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.