Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

flickering screen while playing netflix

Hi,

I've got a question. When i watch a movie of serie on netflix, the screen sort of flickers, but still keeps playing the movie/serie. This keeps happening every 2 minutes or so. I have a macbook pro, 13' inch, early 2015. Version 10.12. 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 and Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. Does anybody else has this problem and more importantly, does anyone knows the solution?

Sebastiaan

Posted on Oct 3, 2016 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2017 12:23 AM

I had this on my rmbp 13 2016 without touchbar and all I had to do to fix the problem was turn off automatically adjust brightness in the Display settings. Hope this helps someone... I appear to be the only 2016 model to have experienced this????

11 replies

Oct 4, 2016 1:13 PM in response to sepzozo

Hello sepzrzo,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like the screen on the MacBook Pro is flickering while you are watching videos on Netflix. There are a couple things we can do to troubleshoot this issue. I would recommend you read these articles, they tell you how to boot into safe mode to see if any 3rd party applications could be causing this to happen. Then you can reset the NVRAM which resets video settings. Finally the SMC if it turns out to be a power issue causing the flickering.

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Oct 5, 2016 11:30 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hey there! It appears you are facing the same issues as the ones described in the following threads:

This bug appears to happen exclusively on Early 2015 MBPs, as seen in the thread discussions.

@jeremy_v, we've attempted lots of possible solutions to no avail. It still happens to us MBP owners and it's really disappointing that such a new device is receiving this kind of issue. Is there any way Apple could give us a deeper support in this issue?

Thanks

Oct 9, 2016 2:43 AM in response to broncodude37

That's interesting, broncodude37, yours is the first case of a non-retina MacBook... Here's a summary of what we've got so far:

Issue

- Netflix flickering

- Netflix videos rewind like a VHS for about a second

- Happens in medium intervals, from 30 seconds up to 2 minutes

- Happens exclusively on Safari and on Chrome fullscreen

- Moving the mouse to the top of the screen to show the menu bar (hence not being full screen)

- In some devices, changing the resolution from "default for display" to "scaled" and selecting something different than default removes flickering

- Reboot in recovery mode, NVRAM reset and SMC reset didn't work

- Only "solution" so far has been playing on Firefox

- Affects mostly 2015 MacBook Pros, but we have reports of 2015 MacBooks (12-inch) and 2011 MacBook Pros (13-inch, non-retina)

Discussion threads

- Random screen flickering while watching videos.

- Full-screen Netflix video playback bug???

- Re: Flickering on Netflix after Sierra update

- Re: flickering screen while playing netflix

Reported devices with the issue

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (Awesomedude415)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, 128GB SSD) (grpires)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch) (teamkillerkk)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (Shinigami195)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, 128GB SSD) (plantbased)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, 512GB SSD) (gabrillo)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (mathisiak)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (rfr.ferreira)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, 256GB SSD) (plasticdoughnut)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (Tobiasfl)

- MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (sepzozo)

- MacBook Pro (Non-retina, 15-inch, 2011) (broncodude37)

flickering screen while playing netflix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.