Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't update to iOS 10

My iPad will not recognize iOS 10. I have updated both my iPhones (6's) successfully and easily. However, when I click "Check for Updates" on my iPad, I get a message that version 9.3.5 is the "current version." It does not produce an error message. It is an iPad 3. I've never had problems updating before. I recently did a restore from backup because it refused to play video on one of my apps. The restore fixed that problem, but did not affect my inability to update the iOS. I have tried installing wirelessly and wired to iTunes on two different computers. It still says 9.3.5 is the latest version. I have shut down and restarted the iPad several times. No luck. I've tried on several different networks. No luck.

iPad, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Oct 3, 2016 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 9:14 AM

It is Capitalism... here is my beef.. If you cant upgrade to 10.0 because no support is available. Then why doesnt apple allow for legacy apps to be installed.

Example. I had to format my old ipad mini because i wanted to pass it down to my Daughter. Now pandora or other apps will not install because it requires IOS 10.0. Why cant i have an option to install a previous version of any app?

This isnt right!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2017 9:14 AM in response to Michael Black

It is Capitalism... here is my beef.. If you cant upgrade to 10.0 because no support is available. Then why doesnt apple allow for legacy apps to be installed.

Example. I had to format my old ipad mini because i wanted to pass it down to my Daughter. Now pandora or other apps will not install because it requires IOS 10.0. Why cant i have an option to install a previous version of any app?

This isnt right!

Oct 12, 2017 5:43 PM in response to Jeb Smith

Jeb Smith wrote:

rotten ******** make you buy a new ipad! capitalism at its worst. make a good product last!

Or, simply don’t update iOS and keep on using your device exactly as you’ve been doing. Many people are still using original iPads on iOS 5.

What you call capitalism at its worse many would say is at its very best - companies innovating rapidly in the face of constant consumer demand for more new features, faster devices, new apps, etc. If people did not want, even demand, what the new devices, OS’s and apps offer, then nobody would bother developing them in the first place.

Oct 12, 2017 6:20 PM in response to Jeb Smith

Just because your iPad 3 is no longer able to upgrade to the latest iOS doesn't mean your iPad 3 is suddenly useless.

Your iPad 3 will work as it always has and the apps you have installed on it will continue to update and receive some level of app updates relevent to your current iOS.

You have had four years of iOS upgrades and updates.

Your iPad 3 will still do everything it does now and you will, get, at least, another full year, perhaps two, if you decide you want to wait longer to get a new or newer iPad model.

Your iPad 3 is NOT, suddenly, becoming obsolete or useless.

So, your options are really keep using your iPad 3 or purchase a new iPad if you feel you need or want to.

Your current iPad 3 will still work and continue to receive app updates until sometime through this Fall 2017, when, with the recent introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps will come to a final end.

Your iPad 3 will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates after the Fall of 2017.

The final app updates your iPad 3 will receive will be its last!

Your iPad 3 should STILL be receiving app updates, currently, but look for this to end sometime soon.

While I do own a large screen iPad Pro, my wife and I still use and get along fine with both an iPad 2 and iPad 3 models.

Both these iPads are STILL receiving app updates, just like your iPad 3 is still receiving current app updates!

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2017 iPad 5 model, in April

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of the recent introduction/release of iOS 11, which WILL render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete.

Good Luck to You!

Oct 12, 2017 6:38 PM in response to Jeb Smith

Jeb Smith wrote:

pretty tough when the apps don’t update… i get electronics become obsolete….eventually. not this fast. rotten ********! but i own lots of apple stock, so keep buying the new ones. next year their pretty low dividend payouts will pay for a new iPad! you keep buying and fund my next purchase.

If the apps do what you want and what they did before, then don’t update the apps. Nothing compels you to.

And consumer electronics have always become out-dated as fast as you can buy them. Nothing in the last 50 year’s has changed that reality.

Dec 27, 2017 11:51 AM in response to 2megabits

Because Apple doesn’t own those apps so can only distribute what developers allow them too. The App Store is the retail outlet for third party developers. Those third party developers own their code and intellectual property. If they pull a version of their product from distribution, there is not thing one Apple can do about it.

If you‘re complaining about lack of support by a developer for their proprietary app, then you’re complaining in the wrong place. Take it up with the App developer - they decide what versions of their product they support and continue to distribute.

Dec 27, 2017 11:59 AM in response to Michael Black

I agree with you to a point. But Apple still owns the App Store and should have any developer that owns an app have a back up plan or a legacy app that the user can revert back to. May be Apple can archive an app for theses purposes.

Thanks for you feedback. I thought I can input my own frustration on this topic. Not wanting to start a war apples App plans.

Happy holidays

Dec 27, 2017 12:40 PM in response to 2megabits

Well, accept developers won’t put up with that sort of dictatorial approach by what is really nothing more than a distributor. I know I would not. Developers are independent companies - they have every right to run their businesses as they choose and nobody else has a right to dictate what they must or must not do with their product. You’d have developers, especially small developers, simply abandoning iOS altogether if that was Apple’s stance.

Just as Microsoft cannot demand an app developer maintain their old windows versions, or Google demand that android developers maintain support for a certain period of time or such, neither can Apple demand that of iOS developers. There are also legalities over a distrubtor or retailer even attempting to make such demands or impose such restrictions over their own clients and how they handle their own businesses and product development and support.

iPad won't update to iOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.