Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move documents from icloud back to mac

I recently decided to use icloud to store my documents. I now discover there is no longer a folder for Documents on my Mac. The Documents favorite is also missing from my Finder with no option to add it back. The only option and thing I see in Finder is Documents under iCloud. I want to stop using icloud for storing my documents. How do I get all of the documents back onto my Mac? I tried to create a "Documents" folder under my user but it comes back and says it already exists. I can't find it. Help!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Oct 3, 2016 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2017 9:42 PM

I have tried like this, System Preferences- iCloud - click options infront of iCloud Drive - deselect desktop and documents folders . Then it will prompt whether to have the copy on local, if you click that it will take you to finder showing the documents folder in iCloud . Just select all using Ctrl A, Copy all, click documents shown under favourites in the side bar, paste all items there. Then we can delete the documents from iCloud. I have all my files on Mac now.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2017 9:42 PM in response to roncarr

I have tried like this, System Preferences- iCloud - click options infront of iCloud Drive - deselect desktop and documents folders . Then it will prompt whether to have the copy on local, if you click that it will take you to finder showing the documents folder in iCloud . Just select all using Ctrl A, Copy all, click documents shown under favourites in the side bar, paste all items there. Then we can delete the documents from iCloud. I have all my files on Mac now.

Oct 4, 2016 6:01 AM in response to roncarr

Similar situation with my father. He didn't realize he was turning on iCloud synchronization, and after turning it off, discovered that his Desktop was empty (probably Documents too, but that wasn't in the worried E-mail message I got this morning).

This seems to be the opposite of what one should expect; when turning off this feature, you should at least be given the option of restoring your files to the Desktop and Documents folders.

I'm doing "remote tech support" for an octogenarian who isn't very comfortable making any changes to his computer. Hopefully there is a simple solution that I can talk him through.

Oct 4, 2016 6:39 AM in response to Steve Davidson

I am using a Mac Mini now on Sierra. The only thing I was originally trying to fix was add the local "documents" back to the Finder sidebar. What I discovered as mentioned in my original post was I no longer could see the Documents folder under my home directory. I went to Time Machine and it was also missing from just a couple of the last backups that were done early yesterday evening. I scrolled back to earlier in the day and then found the Documents folder in an earlier backup from the afternoon. So I tried to restore it back. Either I did something wrong (maybe not selecting the whole folder) or there was a glitch because only a few files restored. Then after that I couldn't access any documents (the few restored) or the ones on iCloud drive without getting the following error message "documents cannot be opened because original cannot be found". Now I'm starting to freak out. I rebooted and after that I saw in the sidebar for the icloud documents that it was doing a download, to what I'm not sure. I waited for it to complete but afterwards I still could not open the few documents I had restored. I went back to Time Machine to when I first could see the Documents folder in my home directory which was in the afternoon. I tried the restore again and thankfully everything came back up. I still was not given the option from the Finder preferences to add the local documents folder to my favorites. The only option was still for the iCloud Drive documents. I was able to drag the Documents folder icon from my Home directory over and it now appears, but to me isn't the way it should work.

I'm sorry I ever turned the iCloud Drive on for my documents. Apple really needs to fix the way it operates and make it more like other cloud services. ..But then again it's Apple and they always have to do things their own way.

Good luck!

Jul 30, 2017 3:45 PM in response to roncarr

I'm still trying to get my docs back to my Mac from iCloud but will continue with these instructions. Thank you!

Could this also be why I cannot rearrange the icons on my doc? Are the desktop and dock/icon settings stored in the iCloud now and preventing me from rearranging or anything? Oy ve...this is giving me a headache.

Jul 31, 2017 12:33 PM in response to Eric Root

It minimizes everything and shows me the desktop picture. In the center is a small message that reads "No available windows". I can right click and get the usual options, but cannot rearrange them or even pull them off to delete them. It is weird. I'm betting it is a setting somewhere but even Apple Tech Support could not help me on Friday....

Aug 1, 2017 11:50 AM in response to lilliasa

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Mar 26, 2018 9:43 AM in response to j.h.m.a.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I've just done this and it's worked! Was very nervous about losing everything, but it seems to all be there. Hopefully it's slightly speeded up my Mac again which was horrendously slow after an OS update yesterday. At least I can get back in to the internet as it's stopped trying to upload all the thousands of files I have onto the iCloud. Just hope I've done it right! Am a complete technophobe! Thank you anyway - nervous breakdown avoided!

How to move documents from icloud back to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.