Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic mouse disconnects regularly

Since last week my Magic Mouse is losing connection with my iMac (OS X Sierra) quite regularly - a few times each hour, some times more often - the connection is only lost for 5-10 seconds but that's a long time when you're try to work. Anybody else had this problem and been able find a solution?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 4, 2016 4:55 AM

8 replies

Oct 17, 2016 3:36 PM in response to iSilver

Hi

I wondered where Seventy One read this information about Magic Mouse 1 compatibility because I have not heard of this, and I read Mac info a lot, perhaps he can enlighten us? I couldn't locate any info on the topic and it wouldn't have surprised me if this happened as I've been using Mac since 1991?

I rang Apple Support the next day after reading those comments and the information appears to be incorrect because I was able to get the problem solved using Apple's advice.

The advice was to remove two preference files (related to the mouse and Bluetooth) then reset the PRAM and SMC (system management controller). It's been two weeks since I did this and I haven't had the problem since.

Oct 18, 2016 2:32 AM in response to Banjo_In_Brisbane

The files are;

com.apple.HIToolbox.plist

com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

You'll find them in your User/Library/Preferences or Mac HD/Library/Preferences

To reset the NVRAM, power off the computer. Once it’s off, power back on again, then hold down four keys: Command, Option/Alt, P, and R. Press those buttons immediately after you hear the startup sound, and hold them down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

To reset the SMC, power off the computer again. Then disconnect your power cable from both the Mac and your power outlet. Leave it disconnected for at least 30 seconds, then reconnect the power cable, and turn the computer back on.

Good luck with it!

Oct 18, 2016 4:42 AM in response to iSilver

THANKS. I tried a Bluetooth device "reset" (provided by anonyme4321) as follows :

In System Preferences > Bluetooth, make sure that Bluetooth is on and the Show Bluetooth in menu bar check box is checked. Then hold down alt or option before clicking the Bluetooth toolbar menu icon. Now, in the device's contextual menu you can remove it. Remove then Pair the Bluetooth Mouse

It has stayed connected through two complete reboots, so looks like a Bluetooth Device reset works.

Oct 18, 2016 10:03 AM in response to iSilver

This has been an excellent and thought provoking thread (along with a second thread which I am sure you are aware of). Sunday, as it happens, before this thread, I wrote to Apple asking if the technicians would clarify this situation as a matter of urgency; the last thing I would ever want to do is to mis-lead anyone.

But the fact remains that while Magic Mouse 2 is said to be unsuitable with previous operating systems to El Capitan, I am pursuing why we have not had a formal Apple statement reference to the suitability for Magic Mouse 1 with El Capitan and OS's upwards. Which is, I believe, A. Silver's point.

When I hear from Apple I will come back with the detail, be assured.

magic mouse disconnects regularly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.