Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra has broken Midi Network Studio

So, I just figured out that Sierra broke midi networking. I've been using a midi network for quite awhile and I did a clean install on an older Imac, and now midi network setup errors when I try to connect to another mac(ElCapitan) on my network. Here's the error msg:

mycomputer:5006 didn’t respond to the connection request. Check the address and port, and any firewall or router settings. (13:25:47)

I've tried every conceivable combination in network settings to fix, but no good. I also tried connecting to another computer(Yosemite) on the network, and it gives the exact same error. I am upgrading my laptop to Sierra now to see if it will talk to the Imac Sierra box.

Until then, my midi network is hosed.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12), null

Posted on Oct 4, 2016 11:56 AM

14 replies

Mar 17, 2017 6:13 AM in response to cuttime110

does disabling IPv6 affect my web browser? i need to go online AND network midi over ethernet.

im just asking because i had this problem, with a normally strong connection for years until Sierra broke it!

i use fixed IPs for midi network devices in network prefs with specified device IP in midi network settings.

now some days its ok briefly, then 'randomly' disconnected, then it seemed it was due to me going online, browsing would cut off the midi network roughly the same time. alternatively if i was browsing then initiated a midi network connection, my browser would inform me that i was disconnected from the internet, while my midi network worked.

i got a fix but only after this... * i rearranged the 'set service order' in network prefs: my services were in this order previousy;

1 ethernet/thunderbolt bridge

2 WIFI

it now works every time - as soon as i rearranged it to;

1 WIFI

2 ethernet/TB bridge

hope this helps without disabling IPv6

* i only rearranged the service order because in a blind panic i deleted all my ports in network settings and tried to rebuild the list with new thunderbolt & ethernet ports (no proof that it helped in any way other than the order changing)

cheers

Nov 13, 2016 2:19 PM in response to RHMedia

I am having this exact same problem. I waited a good while before upgrading to Sierra, and I thought the coast was clear. I use WiFi MIDI networks, and I found that if I use an ad-hoc connection the network works. Everyone should know by now that ad-hoc connections are not secure, and I really don't want to work that way. I am coming to the conclusion that WPA Security may be part of the problem. Apple need to fix this ASAP.

Sierra has broken Midi Network Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.