Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Sierra Mac Mail attachments missing

In many of my mails the attachments are missing. I have about 10 imap and pop3 accounts in my mac mail.

I use this for work and get 50-100 emails with attachment from different accounts per day.

I know this is a bug, but does anybody already have a practical solution until bug is fixed?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Oct 5, 2016 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2016 9:23 AM

Hi Apple Support,

Can we have your immediate attention here, please? One of main mail features is not working, it's a critical issue.

Cheers,

Slaw

90 replies

Oct 5, 2016 3:23 PM in response to felixd10

Same problem here. Since the update to Mac OS Sierra, some of the attachments are not there.

My solution until the fix is that I open the mail on my iPhone and upload the missing attachments to an iCloud Drive directory. Then I open iCloud Drive on my MacBook Pro and move the files to the destination.

It's bad, but I hope this will be fixed quickly.

Oct 5, 2016 4:36 PM in response to Chastings

Thanks Chastings, but no, this feature is disabled. Even if it would be activated, the attachments should be there, because it affects newly received emails.

@trevoz: I can confirm that IMAP issue. I have configured several email accounts and it appears to me that only the IMAP account has missing attachments.

I reported this issue through the feedback assistant now, because I'm using the Public Beta.

Oct 7, 2016 10:47 AM in response to felixd10

I'm seeing this as well on some messages.

I sent a test message with two photos to another of our email addresses. No photos showed up in the received message. And weirdly, the sent message disappeared.

Then I checked that received message with webmail and the photos are there. So it looks like a Mail 10.0, unless there's a new setting somewhere.

Oct 8, 2016 11:12 AM in response to Klahane

Here's another test:

I took a three-message thread where photos are missing and dragged it from On My Mac > Friends to myAppleID > Saved in iCloud.

Looking at my iCloud Mail in Safari, the photos show up.

I put the messages back in On My Mac > Friends and the photos do not show up.

So this looks a lot like a display bug in Mail, not actually disappearing attachments.

Oct 9, 2016 8:53 PM in response to trevoz

Of course, I should have written "in my experience."

In one test, I sent a message with photos (placed inline) from my iCloud address to a POP address we receive mail from. The sending account was IMAP (iCloud), the receiving account was POP. The photos were not displayed in either the sent mail or the received mail. Note that this was on a single iMac with both addresses.

When I looked at the sent mail in Safari, logged into my iCloud account, the sent mail showed the images.

Oct 9, 2016 9:05 PM in response to Klahane

What has been confirmed to date by several users is that receiving mail using the IMAP protocol has the issue with the last (or only, if one) attachment not being shown whereas receiving mail using the POP protocol all the attachments are visible.

Perhaps what you are saying (if I understand correctly) is that you sent an email from an "account" which uses the IMAP protocol to receive mail and the SMTP protocol to send, and that the result was the the receiving "account" which used the POP protocol still did not show the attachment(s). Is this correct?

Oct 9, 2016 9:13 PM in response to trevoz

Perhaps what you are saying (if I understand correctly) is that you sent an email from an "account" which uses the IMAP protocol to receive mail and the SMTP protocol to send, and that the result was the the receiving "account" which used the POP protocol still did not show the attachment(s). Is this correct?

No. I sent a test email from my iCloud account. The outgoing account is the same as the receiving account for that email address. I sent that email to a POP account. (We have no other IMAP accounts to check.)

Both the sent mail and the received mail in Mail do not display the images.

I've also sent an email from a POP account, and the sent mail does display the images.

So it looks to me like sent mail from an iCloud account does not display the photos in Mail.

OS Sierra Mac Mail attachments missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.