Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27 inch iMac video card issue

Good morning to all,

I just need some advice on an issue that I'm having with my iMac. I have a mid2011 27 inch iMac that I had the hard drive replaced recently. Shortly after that my video card went bad. I took it to the Apple store but it would be around $500 to fix. I don't really want to plunk down $750 on an old computer. A friend of mine recently told me about the graphics/video card issue that is specific to this model year. There was a graphics card replacement program by Apple and my serial number falls under this. Unfortunately when I called Apple support, they could not verify this program. Does anyone out there know about this replacement program? I know my computer is getting dated. But I would still like to use it for my children. I did recently buy another 27 inch iMac but I would like to salvage the old one. I'm hoping that there would be answers out there for my issue. If I still fall under the replacement program, then great. But if not maybe anyone can help advice on what to do. Maybe Apple can give me a deal on a replacement since it was a known issue. I also cannot find any other numbers to call Apple regarding this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again in advance for your help. Have a blessed day to all.

iMac, iOS 10.0.1

Posted on Oct 5, 2016 9:54 AM

11 replies

Oct 5, 2016 10:02 AM in response to Dondismcoupe

the only active replacement program at this time for iMac is for the hard drive.

https://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

the 2011 iMac features a thunderbolt port and it may be possible to run an aftermarket GPU through the port. While you will need to spend a little more than the Windows counterparts for a flashed Mac card and drivers you can provide the older iMac with a far superior card than anything Apple currently sells in their flagship systems, and many possible replacements would eviscerate the antique Apple offers as a replacement for less than what Apple is asking for.

here's an example

https://bizon-tech.com/us/bizonbox2-egpu.html/

Oct 5, 2016 10:23 AM in response to Dondismcoupe

There was a program for that model iMac: iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program - Apple Support. However, there is a 4 year from date of purchase limit on the replacement. Unless your iMac was purchased in October, 2012 it's beyond the replacement date.

If it's close I'd make an appointment at the nearest Genius bar for a diagnostic and try to talk them into replacement.

User uploaded file

Oct 6, 2016 6:31 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I do want to thank you for your advice. I was on the phone with them yesterday. I spoke with an administrator and they will help me with my issue. They will replace my video card and apply a one time extension for the expired video replacement program. They said that if it was an issue before, it will still be an issue now. I appreciate your time and advice. Thank you very much.

Oct 6, 2016 6:35 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Good morning,

Thank you for replying to my post. I do agree that a company would be more proactive to do that but again business is business. I did make contact with Apple again yesterday and spoke with an administrator. They agreed to do an extension to the expired program and will fix my issue. I get my computer fixed next Monday. Apple support is amazing. I love that a company backs up their products and values their customers. Have a wonderful day.

27 inch iMac video card issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.