Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10 Keyboard Bug

There is a bug right now where when my iPad Pro running the latest iOS (as of today 10/6/16) will display the software keyboard in the wrong orientation. It happens as follows:

I'm holding the iPad in Vertical Mode (Home button facing down) and I'm on the home page of apps.

I Pull down from the center of the screen to access the frequently used apps.

As soon as those apps appear the software keyboard also appears but in Landscape mode from the left side of the screen. This locks me out of making an app selection and I have to tilt the iPad to type in the first couple letters of my app or type sideways in the wrong orientation.

Expected Behavior: In vertical orientation the keyboard should be popping up from below at the bottom of the screen, the frequently used apps at the top of the screen and there is no occlusion.

If anyone has fixed this somehow I'm all ears but I expect this needs to be patched with some magical code-spackle.

Thanks all!

iPad Pro, iOS 10.0.2, null

Posted on Oct 6, 2016 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2017 12:41 AM

I just logged it as Diana.McCall suggested. I've figured out what causes it (for me, at least) and an easy workaround.

For me, this always happens in the search screen (swipe down on home screen) and just after unlocking the iPad after rotating it.

Exact steps to reproduce:

1) From the home screen, press POWER button briefly to lock the iPad

2) Press the HOME button to bring up the unlock screen ("swipe to unlock" message). IMPORTANT: don't actually unlock it yet. Be sure to avoid having your fingerprint unlock it when you first press home button

3) Now rotate to a new orientation, and let lock screen rotate accordingly. (This I think is where the bug starts)

4) in the new orientation, unlock with fingerprint or passcode

5) Swipe down on home screen to get search screen

EXPECTED: keyboard comes up from bottom

ACTUAL: keyboard comes in from side or from top (depending on previous orientation)

For me, it's broken only on the search screen. If I use an app and bring up keyboard it's correct. But then I swipe down on home screen and its wrong again.

WORKAROUND: go to home screen, rotate iPad to another orientation, then rotate back to desired orientation, now swiping down brings up correct keyboard.

I suspect most of you have noticed this problem when you pick up your iPad, unlock it, and go to search screen to launch an app by name. When you picked it up, you likely changed the orientation. But I think the key to seeing the bug is to change the orientation while lock screen is displayed, then unlock.

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2017 12:41 AM in response to Tembrock

I just logged it as Diana.McCall suggested. I've figured out what causes it (for me, at least) and an easy workaround.

For me, this always happens in the search screen (swipe down on home screen) and just after unlocking the iPad after rotating it.

Exact steps to reproduce:

1) From the home screen, press POWER button briefly to lock the iPad

2) Press the HOME button to bring up the unlock screen ("swipe to unlock" message). IMPORTANT: don't actually unlock it yet. Be sure to avoid having your fingerprint unlock it when you first press home button

3) Now rotate to a new orientation, and let lock screen rotate accordingly. (This I think is where the bug starts)

4) in the new orientation, unlock with fingerprint or passcode

5) Swipe down on home screen to get search screen

EXPECTED: keyboard comes up from bottom

ACTUAL: keyboard comes in from side or from top (depending on previous orientation)

For me, it's broken only on the search screen. If I use an app and bring up keyboard it's correct. But then I swipe down on home screen and its wrong again.

WORKAROUND: go to home screen, rotate iPad to another orientation, then rotate back to desired orientation, now swiping down brings up correct keyboard.

I suspect most of you have noticed this problem when you pick up your iPad, unlock it, and go to search screen to launch an app by name. When you picked it up, you likely changed the orientation. But I think the key to seeing the bug is to change the orientation while lock screen is displayed, then unlock.

Apr 18, 2017 8:56 AM in response to Tembrock

Maybe a temporary fix but I found that if I pull on the top of my screen down, pulling down the notification screen, it puts the other keyboard back in its place. My keyboard would pop up one left side of my screen of the most frequently used apps section but pulling down notifications would make it show up when I want it to. Hope that helps or works for anyone else too. .-.

May 28, 2017 3:45 AM in response to bilj

Hi bilj. This is interesting, and you may be on to something. But I cannot reproduce it on my iPad Air with iOS 10.3.2. You mention "slide to unlock", so it sounds like your iPad ?? is running iOS 9. But it might be something in the unlocking sequence that causes the Search feature to fail to use the current orientation. And it could depend on the hardware, since different models have different sensors.

Jun 22, 2017 9:45 AM in response to Dhyaneshwaran

>>> i feel apple is getting worse day by day <<<

I've noticed this not so much with OSX but with things like iOS and AppleTV. I've never seen a bug as bad as a sideways keyboard on an iPad prior to purchasing the Pro, which is NOT a cheap tablet. Same thing with Apple TV 2. It constantly freezes and I have to yank the plug and then plug it back in. IMO, OSX is being thoroughly tested before being released (I haven't had to reboot my iMac in a month) but IOS and TVOS not as much.

Jul 22, 2017 7:00 PM in response to iSteeeve

An easier fix for me is to just

a) rotate iPad 90°, wait for home screen to rotate accordingly

b) rotate iPad back to original orientation, wait for home screen to rotate back

then problem should be resolved

(until next time it gets locked and then rotated while viewing the lock screen and then unlocked -- this seems to be the cause of the problem)

Aug 13, 2017 11:14 PM in response to Tembrock

Had the iPad Pro 9.7 since May 2016, I still have this problem. When IOS 10 was released I was hoping it would fix the issue, I should have sent the iPad back when it was in warranty. All the updates to iOS and this has not been fixed, having to turn off and on every time is not a solution and should only have been a short term work around until Apple fixed the problem, as the time I have had this IPAD has gone on and iOS has been updated it does seem to happen more frequently. This needs fixing or I see no option but for the users of these IPADs to seem some kind of action for unfit products being sold, I'm lucky I use mine for personal use but can not imagine the problems this has caused to those using this IPAD in a business when they have to tell clients to wait. A temporary work around is to drag down from the very top so that your notifications appear, use the search bar from the top of that and the keyboard is fine, this seems to fix the issue for 5 minutes from the swipe down option aswell.

iOS 10 Keyboard Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.