Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add photos from iphoto to imovie

I want to create a slide show of paintings with a musical background. My "paintings" are in jpeg format in iPhoto, and my musical track is in either Garage Band or iTunes. When I access iMovie to start a project, it doesn't show any way to import photos from iphoto, but only those photos taken using "Photo Booth".

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2016 5:28 PM

8 replies

Oct 7, 2016 11:28 AM in response to EdMusical

Are you using iPhoto or Photos for Mac?

iMovie will show you the iPhoto Library in the Media section as shown in the screenshot by OT, and also the Photos Library, provided the Photos Library has been enabled as the System Photo Library. Check the Photos Preferences > General. The option "Use as System Photo Library" should be grayed out. If it is not, click it, then restart both Photos and iMovie.

Oct 8, 2016 1:39 PM in response to EdMusical

My iPhoto version is 1.0.1. My iMovie version is 8.0.6.

That is the problem. You are not using iPhoto any longer - the version number 1.0.1 is indicating you are using Photos for Mac. You need a newer iMovie version to be compatible with Photos for Mac. Upgrade to iMovie 10.1.2 to be able to see the Photos Library in iMovie.

How to add photos from iphoto to imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.