Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G3 Gemini (again)

So I've been playing around with the Gemini iBook, and there is a large dark spot right in the middle of the LCD. I'm going to replace the entire screen assembly, but I can't find an exact match (the Tsharc 12-USB if I recall correctly). I could I just throw in any USB 15" touchscreen? Or does it have to be the Tsharc?

Posted on Oct 6, 2016 6:01 PM

3 replies

Oct 6, 2016 9:13 PM in response to flowerst

iBook does not have a touchscreen. And the largest iBook screen was 14-inch. Then I did a search on "gemini ibook," and realized this much be an iBook that was modified by a third party (not Apple). Must have been produced in very limited numbers (I had never heard of it before). You're likely to know more about it than anyone here, since you actual have one to play with... 🙂

Oct 7, 2016 12:42 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

A previous discussion under Notebooks / iBook (G3) has a backstory on this Gemini custom model:

iBook G3 Gemini Tablet

The model had some different screens as provided by third parties, across the production of Gemini.

There were at least two mentioned in some researching for more information about this rare model.

Supporting hardware for the touch screen may also be difficult to locate, other than the panel...

Not sure if a special group of users exist, who may get together for coffee. Maybe four or five? 😝

Oct 28, 2016 5:47 AM in response to flowerst

Depending on where you are, there is a place in Massachusetts that called Unicom Inc. that specializes in vintage Apple computers as well as modern ones as well. According to an article, one person got his Gemini from there from the bargain bin there for under $100. From there you can replace the screen, I don't know how you can replace it, but I assume there is a guide somewhere. If you are really wanting to keep everything original, then see if they have anything there and if they will ship it. He might not, but it's worth a shot. Otherwise, it might just be better to find one on eBay for cheap.

iBook G3 Gemini (again)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.