Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air screen half dark

So I have been searching and searching to figure out how I can fix my issue and so far Im being told to replace the screen. When I got this computer, the camera would display lines in it, it also doesnt work properly and displays a green hue. Now Im having an issue where the screen is half dark on one side, split dow the middle. User uploaded file

Really am not able to pay $800+ bucks for a screen on a $400 computer. (Mid-2012 i5 1.7 11" air) Am I really doomed? Any help I would be grateful. Below is a pic of the camera and what it does. No I didnt drop the computer or spill anything on it. It also loves to crash a lot... It gets very hot doing normal youtubing or by watching streams. But the battery pasts about 6 hours.

User uploaded fileRunning El capt

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 6, 2016 11:06 PM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2016 12:57 AM in response to FireBlaze97

You may need to see if a local or regional official Apple store with a Genius can set

up a reservation for an inspection and diagnostic; they may be able determine faults.

There may be other contributing hardware to the visual issue you see; not just display.

•MacBook Air 11" Mid 2012 Repair Guide - iFixit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Air_11%22_Mid_2012

Does this site page offer any additional information? You may or may not be up to DIY

but there are options. You could send the unit away, once you locate a reputable shop

such as wegenermedia or powerbookmedic, etc; or maybe Apple can make you a deal

if they have a flat-rate repair for out-of-warranty, to fix everything possibly wrong at once.

Not sure if a third party such as powerbookmedic or another may have a less costly

method or second-hand tested good parts; that route may cost less overall. I'd see

what at least one Apple trained expert has to say; not just about the price, but cause.

Good luck...! 🙂

Oct 7, 2016 10:01 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks for the reply!

As for the appointment, I have never gone in with a computer without apple care, will my visit be free of cost? I know quite a bit about their test as I have done this before on a different laptop. My greatest fear is that I will have to pay too much for this old computer. I have read that the camera issue can be one of two things. A Gfx issue, and a hardware malfunction in the camera component (which is replaced at the same time the display is replaced.

Im totally up to DIY, but even the diy hits the overall value of this laptop. But is significantly cheeper than what most people have spoken about here on the forums. I have been with apple for a while now, hopefully we can make a deal as Im a student and cannot really afford big expensive repairs on an older computer. Id really not like to buy a bran new one, or a replacement off of eBay for this laptop since the computer does function with what I need it for, it just has these issues that grow irritating. The camera fixes itself but is always green hued.

Is there any way that if there is a issue that is internal that its covered? Or can I get a new Apple Care plan to cover this somehow?

Oct 7, 2016 2:09 PM in response to FireBlaze97

The Genius visit, once you can actually set one up (some locations

may not be able to see you; some users had to go in person to ask

about one, when the web site to do so said no appointment opening

existed at their nearest Apple Store, etc) the official Store genius is

said to be free; they can advise, some testing, etc. There are limits.

But that said, in my State there is only one Apple store; a recent one

and I've only been there once. I was totally ignored, no eye contact.

So I didn't buy a new Mac that I'd read about. Later I got one online

and it was shipped in a box. I also got AppleCare as a ritual, but not

sure if I would get any help there either... At least now there is a Store

there is a place to Try & Get help. Two hurdles in a tied-leg sack race.

{And in some cases, they may be able to offer a flat-rate service to

repair several items at once; that reportedly (when available) had

been said to be a good deal. They send those away to a center.}

Perhaps if you are fortunate and have more than one official Apple store

with Genius, you can get a reservation for appointment with one with a

exceptional expert on what your product issues are. And resolve them.

Certain product repairs out of warranty, can be handled by authorized

trained expert service personnel; the good ones use Apple replacement

or authorized replacement parts (OEM) and know their stuff. Reputable

ones who have a long-standing good Mac-centric reputation may be of

a regional nature. Some get outside area business thanks to parcel service

and the internet. I'd had some repairs done via wegenermedia.com some

years ago, to a portable Mac; read about them, then emailed, then called;

and sent a mac in a box to their repair center for inspection & estimate.

The price & expertise were both superior to anything locally; where the item

would have been sent outside state for lowest cost, then marked up to me.

So another option, as mentioned you can get tested parts from used macs if

that margin of saving - or harder to get parts, force you to use available ones

can be had in some circumstances; or new parts if you look further. The better

lower prices can be from those companies whose business is repairing Macs.

Already repaired older units may also be found with limited warranty, some

are not cheap; others may not look super nice but are restored at fair price.

Good luck in this matter; regading best results, under cost/value constraints..! 🙂

Oct 7, 2016 8:20 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks, I will try and make an appointment soon. (Have to walk in or call for one.) Im starting to get a flicker now... But thats usually when Im on a dark screen. Do you know if apple does a trade in for older equipment? Id imagine they could resell my computer as a refurbished model had I traded it in. I mean if I get good value for the trade in I might just do that rather than cough up money to fix it myself.

If not I found a genuine replacement head for this computer on eBay for $260 from la.tronics. Which is far more doable for the DIY method, the tools I would need to buy regardless, minus the torx drivers. Im not afraid to do DIY but I know the risks are higher when disassembling an entire computer like this so im a bit eh about this. I will only do it if its a must.

Macbook Air screen half dark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.