Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes and Blackberry Link conflict

Hi, Blackberry Link stopped working following latest iTunes update in Windows 10.

I have performed Blackberry's suggest workaround, as follows:

"Rename the iTunesPrefs.xml file and relaunch BlackBerry Link

Please note: Completing the below steps may have adverse effects on the iTunes functionality. For further information, please contact Apple support.

To rename the iTunesPrefs.xml file;

1. Turn on Show hidden files and folders
  2. Navigate to C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\
  3. Rename the iTunesPrefs XML file file to iTunesPrefs.old

​Once completed, it would be recommended to turn off Show hidden files and folders."

My question is, how will this affect iTunes functionality, if at all?

Windows 10

Posted on Oct 7, 2016 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2016 3:57 AM

Renaming iTunesPrefs.xml will reset various settings within iTunes. If your library is at the default path of <User's Music>\iTunes and you have the options for Keep... and Copy... enabled you may not notice a change, but settings that will have been reset include the active library file, media folder, XML sharing, import settings, etc. Check through each tab in Edit > Preferences to see if there is anything you want to change back to the way you had it before.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2016 3:57 AM in response to JohnnyKid77

Renaming iTunesPrefs.xml will reset various settings within iTunes. If your library is at the default path of <User's Music>\iTunes and you have the options for Keep... and Copy... enabled you may not notice a change, but settings that will have been reset include the active library file, media folder, XML sharing, import settings, etc. Check through each tab in Edit > Preferences to see if there is anything you want to change back to the way you had it before.

tt2

Oct 7, 2016 6:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Ah yes, I should have added that I subscribe to Apple Music. Again, only on the one device and for direct listening or streaming via Airplay. I have unchecked the upload to cloud option, as I see no need for it. Perhaps I have always unwittingly had this setting, although I suspect it was changed as a result of renaming the XML file.

A little suspicious that Apple provided an iTunes update that knocked out Blackberry link. There are only a few of us dedicated BB users left in the world, so there was really no need for them to make life more difficult for us! 😉

iTunes and Blackberry Link conflict

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.