Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures missing in Photos App for Mac

Yesterday I updated my macbook pro.

After I everything was installed. I opened my macbook today I realised that almost all my photos from the Photo App on my Macbook had disappeared (years of photos). It wasn't even an update of the photo app but for Safari.... I could restore a few photo's from my recently deleted album. But those where only a hundred of the tens of thousands of memories/photo's I had.

I don't use iCloud and I don't have a time machine active

Where did they go? How do I get the years of photos back?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Oct 7, 2016 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2016 12:21 PM

Hold down the Option key and launch Photos.

Select the library you want to open and then click Choose Library. If the library you want isn’t listed, click Other Library. Navigate to the library you want, and click Open.

reference:

Updating from iPhoto to Photos for OS X - Apple Support

17 replies

May 16, 2018 3:22 PM in response to nomennescio

I also had this problem as I had migrated data from one old mac mini to a new mac mini. I thought everything was slightly okay. I noticed some photos I had taken with my phone weren't showing up. So I figured I should update the photos app.

What a problem that created.

It had appeared that all my photos from 2015-2017 had disappeared. I wasn't too choked up about 2015-2016 but 2017 contained baby pictures. That freaked me out.

Tried Time machine- didn't work

iCloud only had a few photos from late 2017 to mid 2018

Somewhere in the freaking out I noticed I has Photo Library and Photo Library 2. #2 was the one that ignored the missing years.

I renamed Photo Library 2 and all seems well.

Jun 11, 2017 5:58 AM in response to nomennescio

Hi Everyone, I have been experiencing the same issue with the Photos app Store, I would be missing about 10,000 pictures and then they would appear again. This has happen a couple of times since I switched from iPhotos to Photos app, its been a few years. Over the last few days it happen again and ever since then I've tried and tried to recover my precious valuable photos but had not luck, until this morning. I HAVE RECOVERED ALL OF MY 10,000 PHOTOS! what i did was

1. open finder

2. go to pictures

3. scrolled all the way down until I found a folder labeled "A Day at the Museum" and another one labeled "Photos Library

4. I doubled clicked on the "Photos Library" and Photos app opened up and a small window pop up asking me if i wanted to switch from " a day at the museum" to "photos library". I clicked yes, although I was terrified of loosing the remaining photos, and after it made the switch and Photos app re open all of my pictures appeared. Hope this is helpful, best of luck. Let me know if it worked for you guys.

Jan 9, 2018 1:25 PM in response to nomennescio

I had a similar problem - suddenly my old photo albums were empty. I checked iCloud and all the photos were there. Apparently the Photos app is optimising storage space this way. How I solved it:

Go to Photos -> Preferences -> Check iCloud photo library -> Select Download originals to Mac. When connected to power, Photos started to download photos from iCloud back to the Mac. It takes a while, but slowly the pictures started to reappear.

Oct 8, 2016 7:51 AM in response to nomennescio

Hello nomennescio,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you updated Safari and now you do not see photos in the Photos app. I would recommend you read this article, it may be able to help troubleshoot the issue.

1. Press Option-Command and double-click the Photos icon in the Applications folder (or click the Photos icon in the Dock).

The Repair Library window opens.

2. Click Repair to rebuild your photo library.

Photos for Mac: Repair your library
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Pictures missing in Photos App for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.