Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra and Cisco VPN

Hello,

I've just updated to Sierra and got an issue with VPN connection to company network.

Actually I can access to internal company's resources from my home by Cisco Anyconnect without any restriction, but if I try to do the same from my office it is not working at all.

It is connected well to internet in my office and I can use all internet resources without any problems but once I try to use Anyconnect to access internal resources it doesn't connect at all.

There were not any issues on el Capitan so I suspect that it was brought by Sierra.

Please help me out.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Oct 7, 2016 8:56 AM

10 replies

Jul 1, 2017 6:19 AM in response to John Lockwood

Hello. I have established a connection to my work server using Cisco Anyconnect, but I can't browse any files in finder. Can someone help?

Error: The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

I have a MacBook Air running Sierra 10.12.5.

User uploaded file

Jan 13, 2017 6:57 AM in response to CasperTlt

It is a regular problem that newer versions of OS X result in Cisco Anyconnect breaking. Cisco are admittedly fairly good at releasing new versions but this relies on your network administrator having a valid subscription, paying attention and updating your Cisco equipment to match.

In theory your Cisco equipment might be able to upgrade your client devices including Macs but of course if you have upgraded your OS X and broken the previous version you might not be able to connect for this to happen. In theory you are also supposed to be able to go to a website and login and this will then cause a full-blown download and re-install of the Cisco Anyconnect client. This install process often requires using Java and that can also get broken.

As a result of all this I personally prefer using Apple's built-in VPN client since in theory that is always going to be compatible with the versions of OS X it comes with. Sierra has L2TP, Cisco IPSec and IKEv2 VPN clients built-in. I have not tried the IKEv2 built-in client so I don't know how reliable it is.

Arguably your IT department should not be letting you upgrade to a newer version of OS X until they have tested and as necessary upgraded their stuff to support this. Equally they should not be simply ignoring newer versions and refusing to upgrade their systems to match.

Oct 8, 2016 11:26 AM in response to CasperTlt

Hello CasperTlt,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. I know how important being able to use your VPN after updating to macOS Sierra! The good news is the following steps will be helpful in resolving your issue with Cisco Anyconnect, as they have released an update to their product to be compatible with macOS Sierra:

AnyConnect 4.3MR3 (3086) is now available with various fixes including additional Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra) compatibility fixes
If an app won't run or install on your Mac after you upgrade OS X

Cheers!

Sierra and Cisco VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.