Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing specific folders to iCloud

Hello,

I have both a personal and work MacBook Air connected to my apple ID and synced to iCloud.

While I like having my files backed up I would prefer to keep my personal files on my personal computer only.

Is there a way to select a specific set of folders to keep on each Mac?

Thanks

Posted on Oct 7, 2016 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 2:45 PM

The problem people are having is that it's far too broad to say "Yes, store my ENTIRE desktop and Documents too onto iCloud!" but making people manually store individual files is too burdensome. What we are asking for is the ability to designate *specific* folders to be shared/stored onto iCloud.

This is in no way a crazy or unusual wish, and ought to be fixed.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2017 2:45 PM in response to iProtectYou

The problem people are having is that it's far too broad to say "Yes, store my ENTIRE desktop and Documents too onto iCloud!" but making people manually store individual files is too burdensome. What we are asking for is the ability to designate *specific* folders to be shared/stored onto iCloud.

Aug 28, 2017 8:24 AM in response to gail from maine

All files synced with iCloud will be stored on the server under my iCloud ID, yes.

The question is whether you can elect to sync only specific files/folders (i.e. continuously synchronize) with a physical hard drive. Google Drive allows you to choose which items are downloaded and synchronized with your device. Everything else is stored remotely (or on G Drive/iCloud) and remains accessible as long as you can connect to the internet. Here is a screenshot of what I am describing:

User uploaded file

Just to be as clear as possible, another example: say that I have a computer with a 1GB hard drive, and I have an iCloud account with 200GB of storage, which I have filled to capacity. Since my computer can only store 1GB on its own, I cannot sync all of my iCloud folders. So, can I choose to sync only 1 folder that contains 1GB? In other words, can i choose to only download and synchronize 1GB of data instead of all 200GB?

Aug 28, 2017 7:44 AM in response to gail from maine

I think I have the same question as OP, and I don't believe it's been answered. If I'm correct that we have the same question, let me try to rephrase:

Is it possible to use iCloud services on a device and only sync *selected* files and folders? Google Drive allows you to do this.

To illustrate, say that you have a MacBook for personal use, and you sync 100% of the data it stores with iCloud. On a separate computer used for work purposes, can you install iCloud and use it to sync a single folder that contains only work-related data, so that you're not storing and syncing personal files on your work computer?

Aug 28, 2017 9:55 AM in response to agrandj

agrandj wrote:

All files synced with iCloud will be stored on the server under my iCloud ID, yes.

The question is whether you can elect to sync only specific files/folders (i.e. continuously synchronize) with a physical hard drive. Google Drive allows you to choose which items are downloaded and synchronized with your device. Everything else is stored remotely (or on G Drive/iCloud) and remains accessible as long as you can connect to the internet. Here is a screenshot of what I am describing:

User uploaded file

Just to be as clear as possible, another example: say that I have a computer with a 1GB hard drive, and I have an iCloud account with 200GB of storage, which I have filled to capacity. Since my computer can only store 1GB on its own, I cannot sync all of my iCloud folders. So, can I choose to sync only 1 folder that contains 1GB? In other words, can i choose to only download and synchronize 1GB of data instead of all 200GB?

OK, so you cannot "selectively" sync iCloud Drive files on a Mac. You can selectively download to a device - the iCloud Drive app on a device will show all of your available files, and you can download whichever ones you want. But on a Mac, iCloud Drive downloads your most recent file as space allows, leaving the remaining ones on iCloud Drive until you manually download them. You can also turn on Optimization which will free up even more space on your Mac, and put more items on the Drive:

Store your files in iCloud and save space on your device

The files that you keep in iCloud Drive use your iCloud storage. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud and on your device, you can store as many files as you like.

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. Your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. If you want to free up more space on your Mac, we can help. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can search and browse files from all of your devices and download them only as you need them.

User uploaded file

Here are a couple of iCloud Drive support articles that might help:

iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Drive Usage and Instructions

Cheers,

GB

Dec 22, 2017 4:10 PM in response to RhialtoTheMarvellous

What we are asking for is the ability to designate *specific* folders to be shared/stored onto iCloud.

You have this ability.

*Specific folders* you want synced with iCloud? Place inside a synced folder.

*Specific folders* you don't want synced with iCloud? Place them anywhere else.

iCloud is not equal to Dropbox. Apple is aware of this.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Jan 5, 2018 9:10 PM in response to heyitsquinn

You don't have to use iCloud to do what you are describing:

heyitsquinn wrote:

Great, but why can't I import the folders of photos off of my iPhone as they ARE without iCloud, but yet I can't choose what folders I'd like to sync to it? This seems elementary. Seriously. You'd expect more out of the fabled, monolithic tech giant.

It is not only elementary, it is how it has been done since the beginning before iCloud was introduced. You don't need iCloud for your photos. I don't use iCloud for my photos. You can choose what files you upload to iCoud Drive if you don't turn on Desktop & Documents in the iCloud Drive options. It's really not as nefarious as you would like to believe. You have control, but you have to educate yourself as to how things work if you want them to work the way you wish:

PHOTO IMPORT IOS TO MAC/PC

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB - Apple Support

GB

Jan 9, 2018 6:39 PM in response to JWheatie

You may want to read up on Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support. If you do not use this feature, then you have complete control over what goes into iCloud Drive.

Also, here is an overview of iCloud that may help to clarify what its purpose is: iCloud Deconstructed | Communities

Cheers,

GB

Aug 28, 2017 8:11 AM in response to agrandj

agrandj wrote:

I think I have the same question as OP, and I don't believe it's been answered. If I'm correct that we have the same question, let me try to rephrase:

Is it possible to use iCloud services on a device and only sync *selected* files and folders? Google Drive allows you to do this.

To illustrate, say that you have a MacBook for personal use, and you sync 100% of the data it stores with iCloud. On a separate computer used for work purposes, can you install iCloud and use it to sync a single folder that contains only work-related data, so that you're not storing and syncing personal files on your work computer?

You cannot do that with the same iCloud ID. It's the same drive, so not sure what you mean? If you put a folder on a hard drive, and then put a different folder from a different computer on that same drive, both folders are going to be there. Same principle.

GB

Aug 28, 2017 12:55 PM in response to agrandj

You need to go to System Preferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive/Options to turn off Documents and Desktop syncing to control what syncs.

Copy the files from iCloud Drive to a folder other than Documents and the Desktop. Go to System Preferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive/Options and turn off syncing. Rearrange the files as desired. If desired, you can then delete the files from iCloud if syncing is turned off.

Dec 22, 2017 10:34 PM in response to RhialtoTheMarvellous

RhialtoTheMarvellous wrote:

You have complete control over this. All you have to do is to turn OFF the Desktop & Documents option in >System Preferences>iCloud>iCloud Drive>Options.

Before you do that, you would probably want to move them back to your Mac by creating a uniquely named set of folders for each (like Desktop1 and Documents1), then moving the files to the new folders on your Mac. Once you have done that, you can turn off the option.

Then, you can select whatever specific files you want to upload to iCloud Drive. It's really quite simple. Why would you select the option if you don't like how it works?

Cheers,

GB

Jan 5, 2018 3:22 PM in response to RhialtoTheMarvellous

Yeah, this is actually super frustrating. I recently switched from Android to iPhone and little by little I'm regretting it. The fact that Apple insists on what folders you can sync, and insists on making you random photo albums that you cannot delete is almost insulting. These products are extremely expensive, and I'm wondering what for? A flashy looking device? An aesthetically pleasing operating system? Great, but why can't I import the folders of photos off of my iPhone as they ARE without iCloud, but yet I can't choose what folders I'd like to sync to it? This seems elementary. Seriously. You'd expect more out of the fabled, monolithic tech giant.

Syncing specific folders to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.