Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to update Mac OS X Lion Server to macOS Sierra

I have a mac mini server mid 2011 with OS X Server Lion 10.7.5. I now want to upgrade to macOS Sierra, that failed because I first need to upgrade to OS X 10.10 or 11 and after that to OS X Server version 4 or 5. However, OS X 10.10 or 11 is no longer on the appstore or apple support site.

Posted on Oct 8, 2016 1:16 AM

9 replies

Jan 4, 2017 12:37 PM in response to Durden871

I've been on the phone with Apple last year for the exact same question. Luckily I still have older versions of Server, so I can use them if I want to. Although it officially is not allowed. But Apple forces you into doing this, because they will not provide installers any more.

Lesson learned for me from this: whenever a new version of OS X is made available, I download it on all Apple ID's that I might ever need it on in the futuren. That way I'm sure that I will be able to get it when I need it.

Jun 27, 2017 11:14 AM in response to chinabiz21

@chinabiz21

Ever tried? I did and it works.

- from 10.7.5 upgrade to 10.10 (don’t upgrade to 10.11, it won’t work. The Apple help text is not correct, says Apple)

- if you don’t have 10.10, you can copy it from every person ever downloaded that, it is not bonded to the Apple ID.

- under 10.10 you can buy and install the latest Mac OS Server app with the message, an older Version will be installed.

- with this Version you can update your server services.

- from there yo can install 10.12 and update the server app.

Please excuse my english.

Aug 2, 2017 10:56 PM in response to RobiMac

I had the exact same aggravation with 10 X 10.85. I cannot stand that apple does not support any of this properly. If it requires a download then the download should still be available. I spend a ton of money at Apple and perhaps I may have to reconsider in the future. I will go to GENIUS Bar to see what they can do with my Mac Mini and get this fixed

Nov 4, 2016 11:25 AM in response to RobiMac

Really disheartening that there are no replies on this. This is an excellent question. They're asking you to download and install the latest server version software to update the OS, but you can't update the OS without the newest server version. It makes mention to download and install OSX 10.10 or 10.11 first, but how can I do that when Apple has cut off the ability to download and install legacy OS?

Speaking to enterprise support as I write this and their response is we'll need to go from 10.7 to 10.9 then from 10.9 to 10.10 then from 10.10 to 10.12.

The first question they ask is, have you EVER installed 10.9 or have any account with 10.9 in its purchase history since it is no longer available in the Apple store? Since I do not, they're going through their systems to see if they can dig this out anywhere (if they don't, what I'm getting here is that if you use Apple for your server then "lol" on your part). The easiest way to migrate a server is to upgrade, backup, and restore from backup on the target machine. Can't do that if you can't update. The alternative here is to rebuild your new mac mini from scratch. What could go wrong there?

So, what they basically just told me is that you need to scour for a 10.9 installation from 3rd party sites and pray you find one because Apple doesn't have any way to retrieve a downloader. I was about to demand for a developer, but found an account myself that actually had 10.9. Currently working on the incremental updates, but if you're not so lucky, you just might be SOL. The account I'm using to pull the downloader is very inappropriate to be using in this situation since it's from one client going onto another client machine. They have assured me the client account will NOT be tied into this mac as OS updates/installs don't tie in accounts, only software (if you need to do it this way, make sure you sign out of the app store before installing the update of the server).

This is a nightmare. Thank you Apple.

Dec 15, 2016 5:57 AM in response to Durden871

I had the same problem, it's ridiculous to think that Apple haven't got a simple solution, even when if you do a clean install you will face the same problem.

Since we have been using the same apple id for the past few years on our apple system we have all the os available. However I do feel for users who have to go to third party when apple have it on their app servers to download for legacy users.

how to update Mac OS X Lion Server to macOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.