Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant format or repair usb drive

Hello,

I am trying to repair my USB drive but it says

Cant open (permission denied)

File system check exit code is 8

Error:Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up filesVerify and Repair volume “WININSTALL”

I am trying to install windows through bootcamp and got as far as creating the partition and booting from USB, but when I booted from the USB I got to the install page and it asked to select a drive but I couldn't see the USB device or any device that allowed me to select it. I thought it may be the format of the drive to changed it from FAT32 to NTFS and then tried to mount the ISO again but it said it couldn't be installed on the USB. So I changed it back to FAT32 and started the process again but it now says error with the USB (when going through bootcamp) so I am trying to repair it hoping it will allow me to mount the ISO and start the process again.

If you could help with the disk repair that would be great. Im ultimately trying to install windows so if you offer any advice on this that would be awesome. Thanks in advance

Posted on Oct 8, 2016 8:17 AM

9 replies

Oct 8, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the info. I am following the steps on the link provided but when I get to 'create bootable USB drive for Windows installation' I get the message 'an error has occurred while formatting the disk' I thought I could fix this by repairing the disk but disk utility doesn't allow me to do it. This is where I'm stuck.

thanks again

Cant format or repair usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.