Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Visual voicemail glitches in iOS 10

I am having visual voicemail issues in iOS 10.0.2. The voicemail box keeps closing and the message starts playing but does not finish. I am constantly having to close and reopen the phone app. Resetting the network settings did not work.

iPhone SE, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2016 2:40 PM

43 replies

Jan 25, 2017 9:49 AM in response to smeekbeverage

Same issues with 2 iphones (6 &7) with 2 differents french mobile phone providers and i solved it like that :

1) Call my own number with my own phone

2) press *

3) enter my password

4) go to voicemail settings

5) Say "no" or put the right number when the bot ask "always ask password to access voicemail ?"

I think when iOS 10 want to access to your voicemail, the iOS10 visual voicemail can't communicate with the provider's voicemail cause of the password security rules. I hope that will help.

Feb 7, 2017 1:12 PM in response to smeekbeverage

Try putting your phone in airplane mode before checking VM messages. That seems to work because it makes "visual voicemail" inaccessible. Kind of a pain but not as much of a pain as trying to listen to your VM when the window keeps closing.

I tried everything except reinstalling as a new phone, because that sounds like a colossal hassle and some comments say it only works for a couple days.

APPLE ARE YOU LISTENING??? PLEASE FIX THIS BUG!!!

Feb 14, 2017 3:58 PM in response to moonietunes

I am still having these issues, had a 2nd 6+ sent to me, still didn't work. Now had to upgrade to 7+, same thing. I already tried setting up phone as new, that didn't work. I am (and have been for 4 months) talking to Apple (and already talked to ATT). As of TODAY, the Apple Engineers are working on this, and it will hopefully be addressed in a future update. SO FREAKING FRUSTRATED!

Mar 11, 2017 10:03 AM in response to Ericmac77

Then you have another issue with your device. The only thing the iPhone does with VVM is to access the voicemail account on the carrier's server. While now they have the transcription beta, you are probably well served by trying a reset on your phone, or restoring it, first from a backup or to factory to try and clear your error. I've been working with iPhones from the very beginning, and never experienced voicemail problems, and neither have my family. My VVM and transcription work very well, and I'm able to listen to my voicemail just fine. Make sure your cellular data settings are on, and make sure you have a good signal to allow for the download of your voicemail before attempting to play it back.

Mar 11, 2017 10:58 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

This is simply not true I have already had AT&T reset my voicemail more than once and I have confirmed with Apple that it is a problem between both Apple and the carriers Apple is the one that is working on a fix for this probably with a software update. That being said this is ridiculous because it has been going on since iOS 10. And I now have a 7+ phone because I had to replace my other phone and I am still having the same problems. I have spoken to several Apple representatives and they are all agreeing that it is an issue on their side because their software is not communicating correctly with AT&T or other carriers.

Mar 11, 2017 11:13 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

No need to be so condescending. It seems like you maybe haven't searched this relatively well known issue. My issue is not that I can't get voicemails but with the visual voicemail application I usually have to click a voicemail 10+ times before it plays. I will click a voicemail and it opens and collapses almost immediately. I've done all the workarounds suggested on the forums including setting up as a new phone and I continue to experience this incredibly annoying experience when trying to open a voicemail.

Mar 21, 2017 10:51 AM in response to Ericmac77

after reading through all these threads I tried the suggestion to put the phone in airplane mode before listening to voicemail. That seems to work so that messages will open and play consistently. Stupid workaround but significantly reduces the frustration level with this glitch.

I must say as an avid apple fanboy with a family full of macs, iphones and ipads this is a frustrating problem that, if not fixed when i am ready to upgrade, will lead me to leave the fold and buy a first-ever non-apple smartphone.

Visual voicemail glitches in iOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.