Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Officejet Pro 8620 - "An error occurred while communicating with the scanner. (-9923)" after upgrade to MacOS Sierra

Is there any news on when patches will be created to allow connection to my HP Office Pro 8620 scanner via WiFi?

I have already:

1. Reset the printing system and re-added the printer
  2. Downloaded and installed the HP MacOS Sierra Software ( Both HP Easy Scan and HP Utility )
  3. Reset the printing system, Reset NVRAM, Reboot, re-add the printer
  4. Tried to use the Preview app, instead of FineReader 12.1.6 and still get the same error ""An error occurred while communicating with the scanner. (-9923)"
  5. Boot to a Fedora 24 VM and can scan successfully via the same WiFi

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Oct 8, 2016 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2016 9:19 PM

See this HP Support Sierra macOS 10.12 page for compatibility and possible workarounds: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04473034

5 replies

Oct 22, 2016 5:21 AM in response to jmcd73

Just Command R'd and reinstalled MacOS Sierra. Still getting the -9923 error.

Booted into the recovery console and ran disk utility "First Aid"

Tried creating a new account and running Image Capture or just printer ==> scanner tab. This doesn't work. They all fail with the same error as in the subject.

Tried using Image Capture... no success.

Have received and installed several "HP Printer Software Upate" packages under the Appstore Updates section.

Updated my Printer firmware and rebooted both MacBook and printer.

inummerable printer system resets.

Now trying turning off disk encryption. (don't think this has a bearing on the problem, but just trying anything now)

checked logs in /var/log/* the error message

So in short the upgrade to MacOS Sierra has total broken the scanning functionality

Does anyone have any idea on how to do deeper investigation. That doesn't involve rotating between installing software from HP website and doing printer system resets that seem to be mentioned in many of the forums.

I am connected to the printer over WiFi and the printer is too. No problem printing.

Downloaded HP Utility and HP Easy Scan.

HP Officejet Pro 8620 - "An error occurred while communicating with the scanner. (-9923)" after upgrade to MacOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.