Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Album not in date order

Hi!

I'm using icloud and photos, across mac mini Sierra and iphone 6s ios10.

Although in photos>collections all the photos are in their correct date/year order, when you go to albums>all photos they are mixed up. The photo time stamps are correct but odd photos pop up in random places.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 10, 2016 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2016 12:39 PM

That is a feature and not a bug:

• The moments and collections are sorted by the capture date when you took the photos.
  • The "All Photos" album is sorted by the date you imported the photos into your library. This way, the most recently imported photos will always be at the bottom of the All Photos album.
  • Any album you create yourself can be sorted by the title and the capture date ascending or descending.

I created my own "MyAllPhotos" album, that is all showing all photos I have not hidden:

File > New Smart Album

This album can be sorted by the capture date or the title:

User uploaded file

And as a bonus, you can exclude your hidden photos from this album as well, if you add a rule "Photo is not hidden".

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2016 12:39 PM in response to cazman4

That is a feature and not a bug:

• The moments and collections are sorted by the capture date when you took the photos.
  • The "All Photos" album is sorted by the date you imported the photos into your library. This way, the most recently imported photos will always be at the bottom of the All Photos album.
  • Any album you create yourself can be sorted by the title and the capture date ascending or descending.

I created my own "MyAllPhotos" album, that is all showing all photos I have not hidden:

File > New Smart Album

This album can be sorted by the capture date or the title:

User uploaded file

And as a bonus, you can exclude your hidden photos from this album as well, if you add a rule "Photo is not hidden".

Oct 19, 2016 2:51 PM in response to cazman4

I took all photos in my Icloud library with my Iphone. From 2012-2016.

They were always in order by date taken as they were never imported in any other way.

I restored my phone to a new Iphone 7 and photos in the all photos folder are no longer in any logical order.

I have pictures from the last week, followed by a block of pictures taken between 2013-2014, followed by pictures taken from September this year till 2014, then missing the block of pic from 2013-2014, and continuing with 2013-2012.

It's defiantly not in any order of import.

If I'm trying to now attach a picture taken in August this year to a message I'm sending in a third party app, I can't find this picture.

Photos Album not in date order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.