Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Speakers not working after MAC os Sierra upgrade.

After Sierra upgrade the internal speakers (built in) have stopped working. on my MAC mini 2010.

External Bose speaker connects no problem but Mini internals nothing, no matter what I try to play or in what program there is no sound.

In System preferences it says :-

"The selected device has no output controls". Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Please....

Also have the Wifi auto connect problem I have seen in other posts, it doesn't connect after sleep or even when i was writing about this the connection dropped but did not reconnect, I have to manually connect to wifi network again. No problems before with this or on my other devices now.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), sync with my iPad

Posted on Oct 11, 2016 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2016 1:23 AM

After days of searching found a few things.

First ... there seems to be an issue with the HDMI port that now affects sound and can be different of course with each computer. when I read this I played a song in iTunes ( no sound of course) then pulled out the HDMI cable ( which was connected to my monitor which has NO speakers ) As I pulled out the cable the sound came back for a second then disappeared. The same happened in reverse when i put the cable back in, sound while I was pushing the cable in then nothing once completely in place.

So I tried something that had been mentioned in yet another post and it worked.

For others with the same problem....

Go to -- Applications / Utilities / Audio Midi Set up.

Select the output e.g. built-in Output

Look at format options, mine were set to 2ch 24-bit 44.0 kHz

I changed it to lower, as in the post I read, but that didn't help so I changed it to 2ch 24-bit 48.0 kHz

I also changed the HDMI to 2ch 16-bit 44.1 kHz

Eurika....... I have sound

The settings may be different for each computer so think you need to play around a little first. For example a response to my post on this said all they had to change was the HDMI to the same settings I put here and it worked.

Good luck!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2016 1:23 AM in response to Lynnspain

After days of searching found a few things.

First ... there seems to be an issue with the HDMI port that now affects sound and can be different of course with each computer. when I read this I played a song in iTunes ( no sound of course) then pulled out the HDMI cable ( which was connected to my monitor which has NO speakers ) As I pulled out the cable the sound came back for a second then disappeared. The same happened in reverse when i put the cable back in, sound while I was pushing the cable in then nothing once completely in place.

So I tried something that had been mentioned in yet another post and it worked.

For others with the same problem....

Go to -- Applications / Utilities / Audio Midi Set up.

Select the output e.g. built-in Output

Look at format options, mine were set to 2ch 24-bit 44.0 kHz

I changed it to lower, as in the post I read, but that didn't help so I changed it to 2ch 24-bit 48.0 kHz

I also changed the HDMI to 2ch 16-bit 44.1 kHz

Eurika....... I have sound

The settings may be different for each computer so think you need to play around a little first. For example a response to my post on this said all they had to change was the HDMI to the same settings I put here and it worked.

Good luck!

Dec 1, 2016 5:49 PM in response to Lynnspain

I effectively had the same issue. It presented itself as the inability of the audio output headphone jack to create any sound (although if a headphone with a mute/volume button was attached, it would slide the volume up/down).

I went through ALL of the following troubleshooting steps:

Lost sound on Mac mini (Late 2012) Yosemite 10.10.1

Nothing worked. Then I came across your post. I tried pulling out the HDMI... sound came on the Internal Speaker (very low volume, but it worked). I plugged headphones in, and they worked. I then reset to play audio output to the monitor speakers via the HDMI and alerts to the Internal Speakers. All good.

Looks like Apple has a bug they need to address. This ate up about half my day. Thanks for posting your solutions.

Kirk

Internal Speakers not working after MAC os Sierra upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.